Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Municipalities

Municipalities Issues and information relating to cities and counties within California that are of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
SOS Associate

Default LA Dept of Water and Power To Sell Off The Golden Egg

I am beginning to see a pattern here, and I'm not at all convinced it's a good one. The DWP, similar to the state, has spent the money and owns this revenue producing property. Why sell off the golden eggs? Who will profit? I doubt it's going to result in any long term good for ratepayers or taxpayers

Quote:
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power is considering selling off its headquarters, shares in out-of-state power supplies and other assets instead of raising customer rates.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/15/282...#ixzz0qwLSj2o9
http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/15/282...elling-hq.html
Old 06-15-2010, 09:31 AM

Maybe they want to sell it to Mexico. Cheap.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
I am beginning to see a pattern here, and I'm not at all convinced it's a good one. The DWP, similar to the state, has spent the money and owns this revenue producing property. Why sell off the golden eggs? Who will profit? I doubt it's going to result in any long term good for ratepayers or taxpayers

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/06/15/282...elling-hq.html
I have been monitoring the DWP situation and I came to the conclusion that there has been a campaign to discredit that entity with the goal of convincing its customers that the DWP is incapable of doing the work that it has done efficiently for a great many years.

The end goal I believe, is to sell it off and have Southern California Edison take over the electrical generation and supply.

The water aspect of the company would go out to bid.

There are billions to be made so we must look at what the reality is.

The DWP has been forced by Mayor Villaraigosa to buy unaffordable green power from Mexico and from out of state in order to meet his demand that the DWP has twenty percent of its electrical energy supplied by gourmet green power plants at a cost that forces the DWP to hike its rates.

Having appointed the commissioners that run that company the blame for the woes at the DWP rests with the politicians that have nearly bankrupted the City of Los Angeles.

Former Mayor Riordan wants the city of LA to declare bankruptcy.
Riordon undoubtedly has an interest in seeing the DWP sold off.

As anyone can recall the DWP kept their electrical generating capabilities while Edison sold theirs off and had to raise their rates.

DWP is an obstacle to the big money boys that want to raise rates on the citizens of LA who comprise a lucrative market for outside energy vendors.

As such the DWP must be made to look bad and inefficient.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, the crooked anti-American pro-illegal mayor of Los Angeles is the right man to bring the DWP down and saddle the Citizens of LA with Edison electrical power that will cost much more but hey ....mission accomplished.

The DWP can provide cheap energy if it did not have to transfer millions to the city council of Los Angeles and buy unaffordable green power to please phony Tony Villaraigosa.

Last edited by Eagle1; 06-15-2010 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clarification
Old 06-16-2010, 08:27 PM

My view:

DWP's infrastructure appears to be in terrible shape with maintenance of both overhead and underground circuits deferred for years. If nothing else, their underground lead circuits are aging and and will fail at an ever increasing rate until the whole system melts down if conductor replacement isn't maintained or even accelerated. The overhead is ratty and ready to come down and much of the underground is an unbelievable rat's nest example of construction.

To fix it takes tons of capital, which the utility has been forking over to clueless city government hacks who's knowledge of electrical systems are very hazy beyond the certainty that electricity comes out of the wall.

I believe they would practically have to give the Electrical utility portion away in order for an investor owned utility - such as SCE - to take over.

As far as the stink raised over the guys who were busted going to strip joints and other egregious activities (snitched out to the media by a fired coworker who participated in the fun while employed by DWP) while negotiated raises went into effect: Everyone from Beutner at the top down to the very last hired employee could work for free and it would probably make a difference of less than one percent of the total operating budget.

On the other hand, I hear different stories concerning the general work habits of DWP field employees. I have no idea of what is the truth (I don't work with or around them), but it is my belief that for an investor owned utility to absorb government employees it would be difficult for both management and labor, and SCE has brought a lot of negative consequences on itself by attempting to radically modify its workforce almost overnight in the early 90's.

SCE management had the same ideas then as blustering LA newspaper columnists and ignorant LA city councilmen do now, that there are thousands of people who would line up for those jobs. Which may be true on the surface, but qualified employees aren't to be found at the end of a two week dog and pony show.

Continued below.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 06-16-2010 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:04 PM

Villaraigosa's astounding willful ignorance and determination to push on despite all the facts beating him about the head and shoulders is unbelievable.

His city is broke, I believe his falling apart utility is the only significant contributor to city revenue left, and Villaraigosa and his city council play the part of lemmings in a mad tragicomedy about rates, money transfers, sell offs, lease backs, and "green power" as well as meddling in Arizona's affairs.

I understand DWP has bewildering array of perhaps the lowest electrical rates for housing in the country, and I believe certainly so when compared to neighboring utilities and municipalities.

I have no idea of what the figures are now, but I recall that 20 years ago Edison was required to buy alternative (green) energy at the highest avoided cost of constructing new generation facilities, which I believe was something as preposterous as 4 or even more to 1.

The investor owned utilities were forced to sell off generation capacity by out of touch state politicians in Sacramento who believed that deregulation would force "competition" and lower rates, but all that was accomplished was pulling down the collective pants of Californians who were raped unmercifully by out of state carpetbagger power brokers while FERC gleefully stood by and watched.

That melt down is a large part of why we have our state budget deficit problems now - goofy f-ing politicians thought they would break the utilities by forcing them to buy power high and sell it low, but the utilities shoved it back on the politicians - PG&E by heading towards bankruptcy court and Edison by shifting its capital to legally separate subsidiaries (out of reach of legislative jack asses) and telling the state that it had to finance the over cost from then on or the lights were going off.

I believe that when Edison was forced to divest its generation facilities, the dogs were sold to out of state jackals and profitable facilities were spun off to legally separate subsidiaries.

In the meantime, DWP - a governmental municipality rather than a corporation such as SCE and not forced to divest its generation - made a killing selling overpriced power to the state.

Ok, off my soap box.

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

Last edited by ilbegone; 06-17-2010 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
The Los Angeles Department of Water and Power is considering selling off its headquarters, shares in out-of-state power supplies and other assets instead of raising customer rates.
I don't believe it is the DWP so much as those running the city.

There is a lot of political pressure against raising rates, and in that vein Beutner (temporary head of DWP who's an investor and never has been a part of any utility operation) said something to the effect that DWP could afford to own its offices or it could afford to buy green power, but not both.

And he didn't care which - those were the choices.

Hay burros en el maiz

Don't drink and post.