Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Gains and Victories

Gains and Victories Communities fighting back - Citizen triumphs - Holding the line - Making a difference

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-25-2010, 08:44 PM

Default Protest Of Sheriff Joe and Bill Hunt In OC (PICS)

http://www.ocregister.com/news/hunt-...o-sheriff.html

COSTA MESA – About 30 people protested outside a fundraiser for Orange County Sheriff candidate Bill Hunt on Saturday morning.

About 10 people with signs stood outside the entrance to the Triangle Square parking garage off Newport Boulevard in Costa Mesa. About 20 more people crowded around the entrance to Sutra Restaurant and Nightclub as Hunt supporters checked in for the event.

The protest occurred because Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Maricopa County, Ariz., is in town supporting Hunt's campaign. Others joined, they said, because of the Arizona law enacted yesterday ordering police to screen for illegal immigrants.

"The bill that passed in Arizona is frightening because it is racial profiling and will affect Latinos more than any other minority," said Yenny Talmo, of Santa Ana. "I believe we're all equal. I hope Hunt will not be sheriff."

"I support their right to go out and express their views, but we have the same right and I just happen to disagree," said Hunt, a former Orange County Sheriff's lieutenant.

Hunt said he admires the way Arpaio does his job. He told supporters that he plans to charge inmates for health care and that he does not support Sheriff Sandra Hutchens' plan to rent jail beds to the federal government.

"If the bill is successful in Arizona, guess where it's going to be introduced next? In California," said Mike Shrubsole of Huntington Beach, holding a "Boycott Arizona" sign.

"He helped pass this ridiculous, awful, mean-spirited bill," Maureen Shrubsole said of Arpaio. "Everybody in this country is from somewhere else originally."

Long Beach resident Anna Christensen said she thinks Arpaio is exporting racism.

"It's being welcomed and we have too long a history of racism in this country," she said. "We need to change."

Hunt supporter Bob Norman of San Juan Capistrano said he hopes that Hunt will address illegal immigration, and that he likes Hunt's law-and-order style,

"I don't think the protestors have a valid reason to dissent," Norman said. "They just put the label of racist on everything."

When asked about the protest, Arpaio said, "This is nothing, I have thousands."

"What happened in Arizona shows how people across the nation are frustrated," Arpaio said. "You have a big problem here. Many people coming through Maricopa County are headed here."

Arpaio's endorsement is one reason Tanya Johnson of Costa Mesa is supporting Hunt.

"He's not some crazy zealot everyone makes him out to be," she said. "Arpaio is fearless. He doesn't let anybody tell him what to do and it's effective."

The Saturday rally was set up for volunteers and supporters before absentee ballots are sent out in May, said Hunt consultant Bill Brough.

Hunt, Sheriff Sandra Hutchens and Anaheim Deputy Police Chief Craig Hunter are running for the position. The election is June 8.

Contact the writer: 714-796-7949 or ejames@ocregister.com

Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 PM

Default Part 2

Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Default Part 3

Old 04-25-2010, 08:47 PM

Default Part 4

Old 04-25-2010, 08:48 PM

Default Part 4

Old 04-26-2010, 05:43 AM

Thanks for all your pictures. It is so good to see some of the faces I used to be out there with still in the fight. Wish I could have been there.