Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-24-2012, 04:08 AM

Default A dirty little secret ?

No - it's not so secret.

I'm a fan and user/owner of Hewlett Packard computers, printers, monitors, external hard drives, CD's. I buy them exclusively and have for many years, many purchases. I'm also a "buy American" aficionado !!! *( My computer was made in China, my printer in China, my ink cartridges, China, Malaysia, Ireland.

Printers never last me very long. 1 1/2 to 2 years. That's about it. I do a lot of printing with Officejet, inkjet.The ink gets pricey. Costco has advertised refiling ink cartridges for $7.99 to $9.99 per cartridge, 70% off the price of new. So I bit. I took two sets of cartridges last week which were refilled. Upon installing them I began having problems, streaky, poor quality and finally disaster. First the message - "print head failure" then "ink cartridge failure". The printer was DEAD". So I installed NEW cartridges but same results - ink cartridge failure. I took the refills back to COSTCO and got a full refund.

Phoned HP for a new print head. They strongly advised against. Said it may be something else and maybe a waste of money ????????? They offered me a new HP 8600 Office Jet all in one, list $199 for $119. And a 1 year extended warranty for $1 and a two year for $19 which is normally $39 ?????? What ??? So I ordered. My 6500 is two 1/2 years old. The new on is superior technology and new ink 1,500 pages instead of 800 pages.

I phoned Guruaid and went over the problem. They couldn't resolve it. So I researched on the Internet and it was very revealing on some forums. It's a very common problem that many are complaining about. After churning through a lot of information I found that:

* There is a major problem and law suits between the companies and the ink re fillers. Many others experienced the same problems that I did. Comments are very extensive and too long to post. It seems that lately HP has been implanting a chip on the ink cartridges that detects when a cartridge has been depleted and when it is refilled the printer is disabled. There is very extensive information, videos, data on this. HP cartridges cannot be refilled. There are companies that sell devices to reset the chip and also sell refill-ables cartridges.

* Some comments indicate that HP is accused of all sorts of chicanery. It seems that over the past 2 -3 years there have been some developments that changed as to how to deal with the refill problem, that latest the chip. Other manufacturers have done the same.

* COSTCO is falsely advertising about refilling HP cartridges. They just don't work.

* The technical issues are far more complex. The HP ink is patented. The ink is heated when spraying. Low ink levels could burn out the print head.

* I suppose it is possible that I actually do have a burned out print head but it is also known that even with a good, or new, print head refills won't work.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:26 AM

Default Video

Here's the video of the HP secret chip !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvVmEuagCO0

Let me say that I do understand HP's position. They spent billions developing this. They sell printers under cost to get the ink business.
So I'm not ratting out HP. I'm only giving the public a heads up that they shouldn't refill HP cartridges.

Last edited by wetibbe; 04-24-2012 at 04:30 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:55 AM

Default Update

New information indicates that HP is in a death struggle with the pirates.

They have now come out with a new chip that self destroys if removed.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>

Today I spok to the COSTCO manager. He is going to Virginia tomorrow and will take the matter up there

Last edited by wetibbe; 04-24-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:21 PM

If you are doing a lot of printing, lasers are better, cheaper too, maybe.