Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Priority Topics Section > Immigration

Immigration Topics relating to the subject of US Immigration

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Acting ICE Director Sandweg resigns after five months on the job

Acting ICE Director Sandweg resigns after five months on the job

The acting head of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, whose appointment to the post raised eyebrows because of his scant law enforcement experience, told agency employees he will resign Friday, FoxNews.com has learned.

John Sandweg, a former defense attorney who knew former Department of Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano from their days as political allies in Arizona and came to Washington with her, gave his notice just six months after taking the reins in August. In a letter Friday to coworkers, Sandweg said he will return to work in the private sector but gave no explanation for his departure.

“Over the past several months I had the opportunity to work alongside many of you,” he wrote. “I was always amazed by your dedication and commitment to the agency and our nation. Despite the challenges we face, you continue to push on, achieving remarkable security and public safety gains for our country.”

Sandweg was named to the post amid concerns by congressional lawmakers and former agency officials that his background as a criminal defense attorney with no law enforcement experience made him unqualified to run the country’s second-largest law enforcement agency.

"I am deeply disappointed by this appointment and believe it is disrespectful to the thousands of dedicated professionals at ICE who are working tirelessly to enforce our laws and provide for our security," Rep. John Carter, R-Texas, chairman of the House Homeland Security Appropriations Subcommittee, said at the time. "I urge the administration to re-think this appointment and promptly appoint a qualified, confirmable applicant for this essential post."

FoxNews.com first reported on Sandweg’s history representing accused and convicted violent offenders while also fundraising for Napolitano, who was then the Democratic governor of Arizona and later became secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees ICE.

Lawmakers also said his appointment by Napolitano was an example of the agency’s “blatant politicization.”

Jeh Johnson, the newly confirmed secretary of Homeland Security, also sent an email to ICE employees on Friday announcing Sandweg’s departure and thanking him for his service to the administration over the past five years.
“On a personal note I would like to thank John for his work as I learned about the department during my confirmation process,” he wrote.

Johnson also suggested the resignation has been in the works, thanking Sandweg in the letter for “his decision to stay with the department through this transition.”

As FoxNews.com reported in August, Sandweg represented accused and convicted murderers, sex offenders and pedophiles and fought for the release of violent convicted offenders. He raised campaign funds for Napolitano from 2002 to 2009.

Sandweg critics also said he played a lead role in a pattern at DHS of obstructing Freedom of Information Act requests involving spending from the 2009 stimulus plan.

According to a 2011 report prepared for Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., the chairman of the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, documents showed Sandweg -- then senior adviser to Napolitano and the top political appointee in her inner circle -- was “responsible for halting releases on behalf of the [Office of the General Counsel] and the Office of the Secretary.”

Sources said Sunday they hope Johnson will choose a replacement for Sandweg who has come up through the ranks of the agency with years of law-enforcement experience.
Old 02-19-2014, 03:58 AM

Default Thanks

Appreciate the heads up. Interesting.

I'm not prone to rushing to judgment but it appears as though this administration is beginning to crumble.

I have LOTS more to say but will zip it up pending more information.

There is an abundance of activity now which I really do not want to expose presently.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:42 AM

Yes,thank you for this info. Indeed it does look like Obama's house of cards is falling down around him, but don't underestimate the man. He's pulled a lot of rabbits out of the hat, and a lot of it involved the forked tongue and underhanded political manipulation.

Otherwise, these are valid criticisms concerning crony payback:

Quote:
...Sandweg was named to the post amid concerns by congressional lawmakers and former agency officials that his background as a criminal defense attorney with no law enforcement experience made him unqualified to run the country’s second-largest law enforcement agency...

...Sandweg critics also said he played a lead role in a pattern at DHS of obstructing Freedom of Information Act requests involving spending from the 2009 stimulus plan...

...fundraising for Napolitano, who was then the Democratic governor of Arizona and later became secretary of the Department of Homeland Security, which oversees ICE.

Lawmakers also said his appointment by Napolitano was an example of the agency’s “blatant politicization.”...
However, this bears further scrutiny - these are broad allegations without citation of specifics:

Quote:
Sandweg represented accused and convicted murderers, sex offenders and pedophiles and fought for the release of violent convicted offenders.
Tough on crime sells to the voting public (DAs and many judges are elected in California), a significant portion of whom view an arrest as a conviction. It's as if LEOs should be carrying around coils of rope in order to hang suspects on the nearest tree upon contact.

I know as a personal fact that a lot of dirty tricks, quite a number violating several provisions of the Bill of Rights and the 14th amendment provision concerning equal protection under the law, occur on a daily basis, along with general LEO misconduct (manufacturing evidence, falsifying reports, committing perjury, end runs around 5th amendment Miranda and other rights, etc); prosecutors who overcharge and pursue cases known to themselves to be fraudulent; defense attorneys who don't want to upset their courthouse apple cart by pissing off the judge with aggressive defense of their clients; judges who make a mockery of justice by how they preside over a trial.

Just think, you can become a registered sex offender by having the urgent necessity to urinate with no immediate facilities available and do so while trying to hide in the bushes just as a cop drives by - and having shitty representation in a kangaroo court rounded out with a conviction happy prosecutor and a hanging judge.

No one less than John Adams, vehement Revolutionary War activist and future President, did the unpopular act of defending at trial the British soldiers involved with the so called Boston Massacre whereupon he achieved acquittal for the majority of the soldiers and, if I remember right, light sentences for the remainder.

It can be argued that the mob provoked the incident with a group of soldiers sent to retrieve an off duty soldier who incited a possible riot by beating a colonist down over an insult and that the first gunshot may have been an accidental discharge by a soldier who was knocked down by a projectile to the head and slipped on the ice while trying to get back upright. The vast majority of Boston residents would have liked to see them all hang and didn't appreciate Adams defending the Brits in court

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 02-19-2014 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:48 AM

Default Agreed

I certainly agree that it is a huge mistake to take for granted anything about this administration.

Time will tell. I've been through many administrations in 82 years.

Learned to be patient. The tide always changes eventually.