Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-01-2012, 06:28 PM

I fabricate custom props, costumes and scenery for Ads. movies and theme parks. 85% of this industry works freelance, job to Job, It's almost like being self employed.
Ayatollah what are "gomonths" ?

I've been self employed and "freelance" all my adult life, I'm use to feast and famine cycles. I am quite good "hoarding" during the feast cycle to compensate for the famine cycle. It's just that the last 5 years the "feast" has become a discount buffet with lots of jello and noodle choices instead of the prime rib.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:48 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in LA View Post
I fabricate custom props, costumes and scenery for Ads. movies and theme parks. 85% of this industry works freelance, job to Job, It's almost like being self employed.
Ayatollah what are "gomonths" ?

I've been self employed and "freelance" all my adult life, I'm use to feast and famine cycles. I am quite good "hoarding" during the feast cycle to compensate for the famine cycle. It's just that the last 5 years the "feast" has become a discount buffet with lots of jello and noodle choices instead of the prime rib.
Sorry, but that was supposed to be "6 months".

OK, and now I understand what you do...did....should be doing. That's a tough field in that it is very specific. I've experienced the latter part as well. I make and keep less, and my projects are getting fewer in between. Competition is harsh too, with so many people who used to do something else, now trying their hand at my job. The scary thing about freelance-hood is the spectre of retirement, when what little was paid into SS will be further reduced by congress trying to stretch it farther, and inflation making it less worthy.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
There's no gettin' around a fight for your living standard here in the US.
That's the truth. As much as I would like to run away from the problems we have in California, Someone's got to stay here and show some resistance.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:10 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg in LA View Post
That's the truth. As much as I would like to run away from the problems we have in California, Someone's got to stay here and show some resistance.
I remember in one of the videos I made when following the people picking up day laborers back to the job sites, was an asian guy who was quite baffled about the whole affair, and when I explained what he and the day laborers had done to degrade the neighborhood, he just said "why don't you just move?"
Clearly there is a whole section of society that thinks that you can always move away from something bad to something better, and that's why they don't get involved in their community. Their roots are always shallow
Old 12-01-2012, 07:21 PM
SOS Associate

Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=
Old 12-01-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
The scary thing about freelance-hood is the spectre of retirement, when what little was paid into SS will be further reduced by congress trying to stretch it farther, and inflation making it less worthy.
Yes, I know. Almost everybody without a government pension is in this boat. That's also a big reason why the government keeps grabbing more and more from us. It's all part of what we fear about the coming collapse.

I mean it's the government coming to take what little we have to pay their people lavishly, and then short change us on Soc. Sec. and in the process kill the economy to maintain the status quo during the productive periods of our lives.

Example: I bought my house in May and my property tax assessment was 40% ( yes that's 40%) higher than the purchase price. I thought I was protected by prop 13, but I wasn't. I appealed it and I was successful, but my point is that they still tried, and they are going to keep trying to get the insatiable money that they need. If I lost I would have been forced to come up with that money to feed that beast, and make it harder for myself.

Their grab for money is really just starting.
I'm not bitter though, I really don't think government workers are going to get those golden pensions that they have been promised. They are going to try though. In the end though the government can only squeeze so much blood out of a turnip, and we're the turnip.

Retirement, I'm not sure that's going to happen for me, I've got two kids in grade school and a lot to pay for ahead of me.

I feel lucky though, I dodged the housing bubble by staying alert, stashed away every penny when the going was good. I've got a good roof over our heads, I'm a sly fox, I know I'll find a way.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05
My, how cheerful you guys are today.

We're not discussing a Bob Hope comedy re-run here RIM. Some subjects require the somber attitude. I; for one, have felt the end of this government's civil whip. That said, I've been one to encourage people to stand and fight, which it sounds like GreginLA is doing, but just picking a proper base of operations right here in California
I can assure you that I do not think of this as a re-run comedy. It is serious. I do not think 2013 will be great but I do have hope. I retired in 1985 so I have not competed for a job for a very long time.
I see you just posted a video of the hiring of illegals. Well, I have been fighting that for years. I am experienced at trying to find legal help or doing the job my self, its getting pretty old and tiring.
All day I see everything in the world falling into war and fighting and I wonder when some one will try to stop it but, next day I just see a replay.
I truly wonder where everything is going.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:58 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
. I am experienced at trying to find legal help or doing the job my self, its getting pretty old and tiring.
All day I see everything in the world falling into war and fighting and I wonder when some one will try to stop it but, next day I just see a replay.
I truly wonder where everything is going.
Life is a struggle RIM. That's the way it was designed
Old 12-01-2012, 08:06 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
[B] I retired in 1985 so I have not competed for a job for a very long time.[B]
a quarter of a century on retirement. I tip my hat to you. Most of America works and pays into SS for 45 or 50 years, and only collect SS for 10 to 15. You are beating the hell out of the system