Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > United States Federal government

United States Federal government Topics and information relating to the federal government of interest to SOS associates

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 06-07-2011, 08:59 PM
SOS Associate

Default Government Giveaway: Steak And Lobster On EBT

Read 'em and weep. Your tax dollars at work:

Old 06-08-2011, 04:05 AM

There is plenty of money in the coffers, it is just a matter of where it is hidden. Many times they cry broke and then 'find' money. The 'poor' do have to live. They have their RIGHTS also.
Every thing about politics and government is a rip off.
Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 AM

When you get an EBT card, you get only so much to spend a month. You can spend it on any kind of food you want, but if you run out before the end of the month, you won't get any more. And you sure won't get any sympathy from anyone if you spend it all on steak and lobster. Or if you spend it all on Cap'n Crunch breakfast cereal, or frozen pizzas, or whatever. You are expected to eat according to what you get.
Old 06-08-2011, 08:40 AM

There is so much fraud in Welfare, Food Stamps and Section 8 Housing that eliminating most of it would go a long way in fixing our fiscal problems.

The point AG is making is that what you're seeing is not that uncommon and those receiving Food Stamps are eating much better than many of us. Much of the Food Stamp entitlements are either sold to another at a discounted price or given away. I know of someone who gave about $150 in food to the woman who was renting a room from me because she didn't need the food and the food stamp allotment was about to expire.

Calif is cutting back on the amount of Food Stamps being given out to each family, but they have hardly touched the surface on fraud, which is where the big savings would come into place.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:46 AM

If a food stamp recipient is not depending on the food stamps for food, then they don't need the food stamps and they shouldn't be getting them.

And, of course, the first level of reform for any of the government welfare programs is making sure that nobody but US citizens have access to them, and especially housing, the most expensive part of that. Nobody who is not a US citizens should be getting any kind of material benefits from any local, state or government source. It's just like tuition for illegals or ESL programs. They are programs paid for by the government for people who shouldn't even be here.

Beyond that, it should be a crime to feed or house illegal immigrants at all. If you are renting to illegal immigrants, then you are contributing to the problem as surely as if you hired them to do work or trafficked them into the country. The only reason anyone should be lawfully feeding or housing illegal immigrants is as part of a process of removing them from the country. If you are a naturalized citizen who is housing illegal immigrants, you need to be stripped of your citizenship and deported.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:13 AM

More than 44 million Americans — 14 percent of the population — now rely on the federal government’s food stamps program, an all-time high.
The number of recipients is up 11 percent from one year ago and more than 60 percent from just four years ago.
Nearly 21 million households are now reliant on the Department of Agriculture’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).
The program cost taxpayers over $68 billion last year, twice as much as in 2007, and accounts for 67 percent of the USDA’s total budget, compared to 26 percent in 1980.
The 2012 appropriations bill includes $71 billion for food stamps, a 9 percent increase from 2011 but $2 billion less than what President Obama requested.
Critics complain that SNAP hasn’t put a dent in poverty or hunger while taking away funds from other efforts that should be the main focus of the USDA, specifically agricultural programs, according to ABC News.
The food stamp program is also vulnerable to abuse. A Menominee, Mich., man was arrested recently and charged with food stamp trafficking. He allegedly used a food stamps card to buy $141 worth of lobster, steak and soft drinks and resold the items for 50 cents on the dollar.
The Republicans’ 2012 budget plan seeks to change SNAP from an entitlement to a block-grant program that would be tailored for each state. The proposal would make aid contingent on work or job training and limit funding for the program.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:30 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
More than 44 million Americans — 14 percent of the population — now rely on the federal government’s food stamps program, an all-time high.

I wonder how many of those are NOT actually Americans..or, if that's the number of Americans, but not inclusive of foreign users
Old 06-12-2011, 11:46 PM
As seen on TV!

5 CASES of diet Mountain dew??

What a combo...
Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 AM

In the last two weeks, I have seen many requests for people to sign up for food debit cards. I even get requests in my junk email.

Those who purchase those goodies are as bad as those who are selling them.

There are times when I wish we did not have any aid for anyone however, we cannot punish those who really need and allow the criminals to go. Those who administer these programs are the ones who are at fault. As a country, most of the time I think we go over board with our charity.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:53 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
In the last two weeks, I have seen many requests for people to sign up for food debit cards. I even get requests in my junk email.

Those who purchase those goodies are as bad as those who are selling them.

There are times when I wish we did not have any aid for anyone however, we cannot punish those who really need and allow the criminals to go. Those who administer these programs are the ones who are at fault. As a country, most of the time I think we go over board with our charity.
That's because we operate our charities like a business. Well, I should say like a government runs a business. They want to get the product into as many hands as possible, because it makes money for some. Let's face it; the benefits game employs millions of people. There's administration, printing, public relations, data entry, etc. All of them likely liberal voters. Also, the municipalities get this money from the states and the feds, so they like it when more of it comes in. To them, it's as free as it is to the recipients. Someone buys something with food stamps, and the owner of the shop is enriched, right? Sure he is, but at the expense of the treasury. If nothing else, Americans have been trained to believe in this sort of short term economic benefit