Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > General Discussion

General Discussion Topics of a general nature not relative to any other specific section here

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 04-22-2011, 07:20 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
I appreciate that attitude, AG. I just didn't care one way or the other, since the thread didn't seem to be going anywhere but downhill. Right now I'm just bewildered by the lack of activity on this board as a whole. When you look at the last thread on any topic it was hardly ever posted that day, which tells you how few posts there are. I guess this is off-topic, but that's partly what I'm reacting to here, my frustration at the failure of this organization to regenerate itself to what it once was. And I don't blame you for that, or Jean, or anyone else. I'm just at a loss to understand what's happened here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Look inward Phil,

There are several threads going that have been updated this week, all having to do with recent action to keep the effort alive. The state capitol thread, the event at the student March in March, the SOS RADIO! Thread, ...I could go on and on, but I haven't seen much from you on those, so what's the difference between your frustration with this organization, your frustration with everyone else, and theirs with you? Not that there is any with you, but I was making a point.
We can lead to water, but we cannot make people drink. This other stuff is just enlightening and amusing in between time for me. Hell, I don't see the same thing Don does about the jewish brotherhood in LA, but I'd like to understand more, simply because then I might also understand why people don't get what I tell them about the mexican brotherhood and their agenda to dominate California. I'm not afraid of Don, nor am I worried about getting some sort of anti-semitic infection from him. Actually, I'm hoping he can learn from us too.
Quote:
I guess I haven't explained this too well. I understand that I personally play into the apathy by not participating as much myself. So yes, it's partly me, but there are also external factors which affect my attitude. In the "old days", if you remember, there were thousands of posts every day on any number of topics, and you couldn't help but stay interested. I found this board to be really inspirational, and I definitely think it was a factor in my more frequent activism back then. Even before SOS changed hands it was getting to the point where you might start a thread or make a post and not one person would answer you. After a while that gets pretty discouraging. I don't mean to imply that my passion for the illegal immigration issue is any less than it ever was, because it's not. It just seems a little bit lonely right now. I'm not saying it's a rational position, but it's the way I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
It's not just here Phil; The posting and activism is down everywhere; the gun forums, the cop forums, the first amendment forums, all of them I am active on. It isn't SOS; It isn't the immigration law enforcement movement; I don't know what it is, but I'm not going to give in to it. When I feel that way, I just get out and do something. Even if it's a little something that people laugh at or ridicule. I figure my opposition is in the same condition, and I'm not opposed to kicking them when they're down. Try and cheer up, and consider my suggestion
Quote:
That's not what I'm been seeing, but I really don't want to belabor this anymore. It's not a very uplifting subject and I went off topic to begin with.
I have been researching this subject, and I still find very compelling evidence that the involvement level has weakened universally in the circles that we run in, as well as others that are somewhat connected, but not precisely so.
Does anyone remember all the groups that began at the same time SOS did? Take for example Fire Coalition. That's Jason Mroechek's company that also hosts the WeHireAliens.com site. Although he's still around, he struggles with popularity and involvement despite strong committment by his own hand. Their forum hasn't seen much activity since 2010, and most threads haven't seen activity since 2009. He has succumbed to facebook for hopeful advertisement, as have many others.
And while I'm on the subject of facebook, that has probably become the biggest draw for virtual involvement that I can see. So many of our old posters are using that, as well as those from other groups, that it has supplanted their own media as well. Personally I don't like Facebook's software, so I don't use it much. SOS has a page, but I use it sparingly, but check it daily. My disdain for it is not shared by the majority though, and thus we have seen very much of our associated groups migrate there for action and communication.
But to get back to my research, the interest level here has not dropped any more than it has everywhere else. Actually I think we're doing ok considering the circumstances out there. I volunteered at a TEA party event this monday that spent considerable funding and time, as well as having secured a few big names to speak, and the turnout, although welcome, was not entirely uplifting. The TEA party is noticing the difference as well. I spoke with many of them about this, and their speculative responses were similar to my own.
Everyone is down, even our opposition. The UFW is struggling for membership. Their Ceasar Chavez day events this year were as weak as I have ever seen them, and several of the events they held at the capitol, and nearby which were permitted for thousands, only turned up hundreds.

Now what are people getting involved in? Well, here in Sac right now the big deal is saving the Kings basketball team. I'm not mystified by their behavior anymore, but still am by what motivates it. The Kings articles in the SacBee generate close to 1000 posts in the comment section within 24 hours. Face it; Entertainment rules, and government sucks. If anything keeps us down it's competition like that. Our state is bankrupt(yes, it is if we were a business), We are at war with several other people, Rights are in jeopardy, manufacturing and tech jobs, if not being forced out are fleeing the state and the country, and we have 20 to 30 million foreigners within our boundaries who were not authorized to be here. But the resident here in the capitol city are most consumed with losing a sports team, which by most factual basis's employ less than 1,000 people in quite low paying, non technical - non-manufacturing - low wage jobs that usually require taxpayer subsidized services to keep them afloat. Their claim is that we need the sales tax revenue and other related monies that this form of entertainment generates, while I agree that we don't need an additional loss of such at this time, this is hardly the stuff that saves state budgets

So not to get off on a tangent, but just to point out that we are not doing something terribly wrong that is causing losses to our input base. Obviously we would like to overcome this, and doing nothing is not an answer of course, but things must be kept in perspective, and blame has to be assigned in a greater spectrum than just the immediate usual suspects.