Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > General Forum (non official Save Our State business) > Religion

Religion Topics and information of interest to SOS associates in regards to religion

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 08-03-2011, 12:29 PM

Default Churches are at it again; siding with the illegal aliens

Motions seek to consolidate immigration lawsuits
Attorneys for the U.S. Justice Department have asked that a lawsuit the government brought to block a tough new Alabama immigration law be consolidated with a similar suit filed by a coalition of civil rights and immigrant rights groups.
The two lawsuits seek to block Alabama's new law before it takes effect Sept. 1. Critics and supports say it is the toughest such law in the country.
A third lawsuit was filed by Alabama religious leaders saying the new law's prohibition against providing shelter or transportation to illegal immigrants violates God's command for people "to be a good Samaritans."
Attorneys for Gov. Robert Bentley and other plaintiffs have asked that all three lawsuits be consolidated into one case because they involve similar claims.
http://www.gadsdentimes.com/article/...APN/1108030860
Archbishop: Alabama immigration law threatens religious liberty
The bishops of Alabama have joined with local Episcopal Church and Methodist officials in taking legal action against immigration legislation scheduled to come into effect on September 1.
The law makes it illegal to “encourage or induce an alien to come to or reside in this state if the person knows or recklessly disregards the fact that such coming to, entering, or residing in the United States is or will be in violation of federal law.” The law also makes it a crime to “transport, or attempt to transport, or conspire to transport in this state an alien in furtherance of the unlawful presence of the alien in the United States.”
“The new state law is broadly written,” Archbishop Thomas Rodi of Mobile said in a statement. “Both supporters and opponents of the law agree that it is the broadest and strictest immigration law in the country, affecting every part of the life of undocumented immigrants. In doing so, however, the law makes illegal the exercise of our Christian religion which we, as citizens of Alabama, have a right to follow.”
“The law prohibits almost everything which would assist an undocumented immigrant or encourage an undocumented immigrant to live in Alabama,” Archbishop Rodi continued.
“This new Alabama law makes it illegal for a Catholic priest to baptize, hear the confession of, celebrate the anointing of the sick with, or preach the word of God to, an undocumented immigrant. Nor can we encourage them to attend Mass or give them a ride to Mass. It is illegal to allow them to attend adult scripture study groups, or attend CCD or Sunday school classes. It is illegal for the clergy to counsel them in times of difficulty or in preparation for marriage. It is illegal for them to come to Alcoholic Anonymous meetings or other recovery groups at our churches.”
“The law prohibits almost every activity of our St. Vincent de Paul chapters or Catholic Social Services,” he added. “If it involves an undocumented immigrant, it is illegal to give the disabled person a ride to the doctor; give food or clothing or financial assistance in an emergency; allow them to shop at our thrift stores or to learn English; it is illegal to counsel a mother who has a problem pregnancy, or to help her with baby food or diapers, thus making it far more likely that she will choose abortion.”
“This law attacks our very understanding of what it means to be a Christian.”
Archbishop Rodi added:
I did not wish to enter into a legal action against the government of Alabama. It is not my temperament to look for an argument. I prayed fervently about this matter, and my prayer kept bringing me back to the motto I chose ten years ago for my bishop’s coat of arms: “The love of Christ impels us” (2 Cor 5:14) …

No law is just which prevents the proclamation of the Gospel, the baptizing of believers, or love shown to neighbor in need. I do not wish to stand before God and, when God asks me if I fed him when he was hungry or gave him to drink when he was thirsty, to reply: yes, Lord, as long as you had the proper documents.
http://www.catholicculture.org/news/...?storyid=11252

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 08-03-2011 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:34 AM

Default IMMIGRATION: Inland deportations under fire

IMMIGRATION: Inland deportations under fire

Quote:
...The deportation data trouble some immigration-rights advocates, religious groups and elected officials.

"The numbers show it's not the worst of the worst who are most affected," said John Andrews, spokesman for the Catholic Diocese of San Bernardino, which is part of an Inland coalition that is calling for an end to Secure Communities. "It's not the violent criminals but people who are trying to better their lives in the United States."

In Riverside and San Bernardino counties, about 24 percent of the 3,391 people deported after being identified under Secure Communities had been convicted of the most serious felonies, such as murder, rape, child sexual abuse, drug trafficking and some categories of theft and burglary, according to ICE data. Another 13 percent were convicted of less serious felonies, or of three or more misdemeanors.

But the rest either had been found guilty of minor crimes or had no record of a criminal conviction that ICE could locate. Some had no criminal record but had ignored orders to leave the country or returned after being previously deported.

Asked to comment, ICE representatives referred to written statements. ICE says Secure Communities targets only those arrested for a crime, and that it prioritizes people "who present the most significant threats to public safety."

The agency said the percentage of deportees who are felons tends to be lower in part because many of them are serving prison terms and won't be deported until they are released...

...Some anti-illegal-immigration activists say it's irrelevant whether the person committed a minor crime or was convicted of anything. Raymond Herrera, president of Claremont-based We the People, California's Crusaders, said the government should deport anyone found to be in the country illegally, and Secure Communities is one way to easily identify those people.

Chief Deputy Steve Thetford, of the Riverside County Sheriff's Department, said the program prevents dangerous criminals from returning to Inland communities. In addition, some people convicted of misdemeanors have also committed more serious crimes, he said...
Full article http://www.pe.com/localnews/stories/...5.3c6f447.html

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 09-15-2011, 06:59 AM

Our church believes if you break law you must return and do it right!
Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 AM

We need to get religeon out of polotics, period.
Some. place on TV, I heard a clip of Perry saying how he lets GOD guide him. He sounded like Billy Graham.
I don't like a persons religeon pushed on me any more than I like politics pushed on me.
Perry needs to take care of the burning ranch.
Old 09-16-2011, 07:45 AM

We need somthing bigger then illegals!
Old 09-16-2011, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
Some. place on TV, I heard a clip of Perry saying how he lets GOD guide him. He sounded like Billy Graham.
I don't like a persons religeon pushed on me any more than I like politics pushed on me.
If Perry becomes our next President we can kiss the U.S. further goodbye.

(Someone should ask Perry the name of his GOD?)
Old 09-16-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
Very well stated Rimo. I couldn't agree with you more. Religion has no place in politics, period. They both have their place, but it has no place being together.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Very well stated Rimo. I couldn't agree with you more. Religion has no place in politics, period. They both have their place, but it has no place being together.
Isn't this why they are given tax exempt status??? They are supposed to
be spiritual leaders not political leaders?
Old 09-18-2011, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Caterers View Post
Isn't this why they are given tax exempt status??? They are supposed to
be spiritual leaders not political leaders?
They believe that their leadership extends into the political realm, and it's been that way ever since mankind invented the first community council.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.