Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Crime and Punishment

Crime and Punishment Crimes affecting our state and communities. Manhunts, wanted posters, Arrests, and sentences.

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 12-18-2009, 03:04 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy63 View Post
Then it is incumbent upon those who object to speak up. Otherwise they run the risk of joining the mythical moderate muslims. At least muslim organizations give some lip service to condemning their errant brothers (I doubt they mean it).

Unfortunately, to very many blacks, the ones who speak up are treated worst of all. Rev. Jesse Lee Peterson, Walter Williams, Bill Cosby, fine vocal men (although Cosby is quite a racist himself) that certainly are not treated well in their own communities.
I still have to disagree with you there. I think it's incumbent upon other people not to assume that a few bad apples necessarily spoil the whole bunch. Should the Jewish people in this country speak up about the fact that they're not all like Bernie Madoff? After all, he perpetutes the stereotype of the conniving, money-grubbing Jew, right? Even if there were a thousand Bernie Madoffs out there, it still wouldn't be correct to assume that Jews can't be trusted as a rule.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 12-18-2009, 06:24 PM

Should we watch out for the crimes of others and report them? I thought that was what many neighborhoods did with Neighborhood Watch programs. It seems a rather simple example, but the concept it the same. You see crime, you report it. How many Neighborhood Watch programs are there in crime ridden neighborhoods? Not many.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:55 PM
Continent Thief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanfromfillmore View Post
Should we watch out for the crimes of others and report them? I thought that was what many neighborhoods did with Neighborhood Watch programs. It seems a rather simple example, but the concept it the same. You see crime, you report it. How many Neighborhood Watch programs are there in crime ridden neighborhoods? Not many.
It's hard to have neighborhood watch programs in crime-ridden neighborhoods because in many cases the people don't want to become targets for the local gang. They know if you snitch it could mean your life. Neighborhood watch programs aren't looked upon too fondly by the gang bangers, and you can't really blame the good people for being afraid to stand up to them. The only way out for most of them is to find a better neighborhood.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

"I entirely reject the concept, however, of "anchor babies." If parents are found to be here illegally, then the whole family, children as well, should be sent back to the parents' country of origin."
Old 12-18-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
It's hard to have neighborhood watch programs in crime-ridden neighborhoods because in many cases the people don't want to become targets for the local gang. They know if you snitch it could mean your life. Neighborhood watch programs aren't looked upon too fondly by the gang bangers, and you can't really blame the good people for being afraid to stand up to them. The only way out for most of them is to find a better neighborhood.
That may be true in some cases, but in many the gang bangers and drug dealers are the brother who's sleeping on the couch, or the sister who lives in the next house. They don't turn in their own. They create those neighborhoods then complain if there's a drug sweep complaining of racial profiling. I have very little sympathy for them.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:47 AM

Quote:

There used to be a tee-shirt with a picture of a gallows. The caption said: "This neighborhood does more than watch!"
Old 12-19-2009, 07:56 AM
Continent Thief

Quote:
That may be true in some cases, but in many the gang bangers and drug dealers are the brother who's sleeping on the couch, or the sister who lives in the next house. They don't turn in their own. They create those neighborhoods then complain if there's a drug sweep complaining of racial profiling. I have very little sympathy for them.
I don't agree with you. I think most people everywhere are basically law abiding and just do what they have to do to survive. That may mean not turning in your neighbor even when you know he's a criminal, but most people in crime-ridden neighborhoods are not criminals themselves. I should know, having lived in a really bad one for 19 years myself.

Ich Bin Ein Arizonan!

Last edited by LAPhil; 12-19-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
I don't agree with you. I think most people everywhere are basically law abiding and just do what they have to do to survive. That may mean not turning in your neighbor even when you know he's a criminal, but most people in crime-ridden neighborhoods aer not criminals themselves. I should know, having lived in a really bad one for 19 years myself.
Not turning in your criminal neighbor is a far cry from supporting that criminal when he is caught.

We are not talking about silence, we are talking about the numbers of people who take an active part in support for those who are criminals. We are talking about marches, vigils, interviews, cards, letters and active support, not keeping one's mouth shut in fear of retaliation.