Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Social Scene > General Socializing

General Socializing Social topics not otherwise categorized

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 01-19-2010, 05:15 PM
SOS Associate

I smell the stuff on the users. It gets in their clothes, on their breath, etc. They can't function generally, so it's usually apparent.
If I put the two together while they were on the job, I sent them home. happened twice in a month, I gave them 30 days off no pay to get straight. If it became a ritual they were fired.
Drug use on the job injures those around them, and from experience, it cost me in damages. My trucks, tools, landlords buildings, you name it.
If you're so sick that you need cannabis, it's probably best you take up disability
Old 01-20-2010, 05:54 PM

Surprised you'd give em a chance. I'd fire someone that came to work jacked up...first time.

It's the law here in California...and I'd imagine it's going to be decriminalized from the conversations going on. I'd think an employer would have no choice but to comply with it. May take a lawsuit to prove, but it's prescribed by a doctor. There's no difference between medmar and painkillers or antibiotics. Employer should have no say in the matter...unless said person attends work jacked up.
Old 01-20-2010, 06:46 PM

I've seen it both ways.

Those who couldn't function after a couple of hits and others who were good help even if smoking pot all day, and the world of cannabis use goes way beyond the flagrantly obvious.

Regardless of age bracket or apparent life style.

Everyone is different.

I am now of the opinion that no one should be high on the job, but that whatever partying a person does on his own time is his own business. It's going away, but there was the old time blue collar notion which involved lots of drinking (thirty years ago there as as much chance of the water cooler being filled with beer as with water) and by extension pot smoking both on and off the job.

The drug tests are a farce. It's been some time now, but I could party like a fiend the night before a pee test and I beat them all.

I don't do it any more for several reasons, not the least that under the present situation the marijuana trade fuels a lot of killing - essentially it's a blood soaked product whose traffickers have no respect for life or environment.

I believe that if it were legal to grow and posses for personal use but greatly illegal to traffic it would take much of the profit away from the cartels.

The other idea of allowing cannabis to be sold over the counter and taxed is nuts as far as I'm concerned. The same killers who move it now will just get a business license and be rewarded for their previous behavior - not unlike awarding amnesty to illegals who have thumbed their noses at our sovereignty.

Quite a few in our society have a notion that harsh punishment or "rehabilitation" will make pot use go away. I think that sort of wishful attempt is something like pissing into a fan, it's useless denial of reality.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:27 PM

And those are the clubs that are being shut down in LA right now. It goes in cycles. The smugglers and the public lands growers all show up eventually. The LEGAL places don't give you cash for your bag of weed. They'll credit your account with the amount you dropped off...if you had too much to smoke all on your own or just harvested or whatever. When you were dry, you went and tapped the account for a little. If you didn't grow, you were able to tap the resources of those that did, and donate a little something for their efforts. They are collectives....hippy shit.

I did my work with them in the late 90's...with Scott Imler and the original crew that got prop 215 passed. Quite a few of those guys died in jail for their activism...they weren't looking for an angle. They were looking for relief from 1990's AIDS symptoms.
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Scott Imler was greatly disappointed in the way 215 turned out. If he had known, he most likely wouldn't have done it at all.

http://reflectionsonplayboy.com/2007...marijuana.html

“It’s just ridiculous the amount of money that’s going through these cannabis clubs. It’s absolutely ridiculous,” says Scott Imler, a minister in the United Methodist Church who has long been active in promoting medical marijuana.

Eleven years ago, he was working to pass proposition 215, the [statewide] ballot measure that legalized it. Today, Imler has second thoughts.

“The purpose of proposition 215 was not to create a new industry. It was to protect legitimate patients from criminal prosecution,” Imler says.

The aim back then, reflected in television spots, was for a highly regulated system in which licensed pharmacies would dispense medical marijuana to the seriously ill. Proposition 215’s backers had people with AIDS, cancer, and glaucoma in mind.

“What happened when we were writing it was, as you can imagine, every patient group in the state and they all have their lobbies. You know, the kidney patients and the heart patient. Every patient group wanted to be included in the list,” Imler recalls. “And so we didn’t wanna get in the position of deciding what it could be used for and what it couldn’t be used for. We weren’t doctors. We weren’t scientists. We weren’t researchers. We were just patients with a problem.”

Imler says they were forced to make the proposition vague.

So the law voters passed mentioned not only cancer and AIDS but “...any other illness for which marijuana provides relief.” A decade later, if you’ve got a note from a doctor, you can buy medical pot for just about any imaginable condition.

“Let me just ask you plain and simple. Is there this proliferation because people are simply using, quote, unquote, medical marijuana, to get high?” Safer asks.

“I think there’s a lot of that. And I think you know, a lot of what we have now is basically pot dealers in storefronts,” Imler says.

Many businesses calling themselves dispensaries or cannabis clubs advertise in alternative papers, as do doctors around the state who will give you a quick once-over and, for a price, a permit to buy.
Old 01-21-2010, 07:33 PM

If Imler had focused on decriminalization instead of "medical marijuana", there would be no dispensaries today. Nobody would need them.

People who like to smoke pot get sick or injured just like everybody else. When they get medical problems and somebody asks them if they smoke pot to relieve their medical symptoms, what are they going to say? If somebody offers them relief from law enforcement because their pot smoking is now "medical", what are they going to do? If it easy enough, what are the rest of the pot smokers going to do?

Unfortunately, not everybody who likes to smoke pot has medical symptoms and not all of the rest has the income to get some doctor's bogus prescription. They go to jail ... when they get caught.

And meanwhile the black market prices stay obscenely high. $50 a gram? Imagine if oregano were $50 a gram. You would have to spend $100 for a pizza.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:01 PM

You'll get no argument from me about that...there are tons of places that buy mexican weed and sell it to patients. They'll be shut down eventually. The real ones though...are patronized by actual patients, the screening is a little tighter than the dealer shops. If a club refers you to "their" doctor, walk away as fast as you can.

Even with that going on though...if someone has a medical "get out of jail free" card...and there's nothing shady going on... an employer shouldn't be able to discriminate.

The prices are reflected in the legit places as well....can't exactly sell a product that's superior to the black market at cheaper prices...or you become the black market.