Save Our State  

Go Back   Save Our State > Communities and Quality of Life > Communities in Crisis

Communities in Crisis California cities, towns, and counties suffering under corruption, crime, foreign influence or economic loss

WELCOME BACK!.............NEW EFFORTS AHEAD..........CHECK BACK SOON.........UPDATE YOUR EMAIL FOR NEW NOTIFICATIONS.........

Old 02-23-2011, 06:57 AM
SOS Associate

Default Hispanic Grocery Store Bellies Up Leaving City Debt Behind

Quote:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Former workers of now-closed Hispanic markets in San Jose have filed suit in an effort to collect more than $200,000 in back wages and penalties.

The Santa Clara County Superior Court lawsuit filed on behalf of 50 former employees of two Mercados Su Vianda stores claims the failed bankruptcy by corporate owner Kimomex Markets revealed the markets, which closed in June, were a sham.

The San Jose Mercury News says Wednesday that the city invested more than $500,000 and was also victimized.

The suit says Kimomex denied its employees required rest periods, meal breaks and overtime pay. Additionally, the suit says money was deducted for health insurance that was never purchased.

Read more: http://www.sacbee.com/2011/02/23/342...#ixzz1EnWzxbMC
So my thought was that the city was not victimized, but the city's taxpayers were? A half million bucks invested on a business that was a private entity. I'm trying to find out just what the money was "invested" for.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:12 AM

San Jose is a large, liberal city with plenty of money to steal. They won't notice a measly $500K.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don View Post
San Jose is a large, liberal city with plenty of money to steal. They won't notice a measly $500K.
I think this was in Santa Clara rather than San Jose, however I cannot confirm it because the county court website is not functioning, likely because of inept mangement and/or budgetary shortages. Either way, a half mil is enough to raise some eyebrows among the employees who feel they should have gotten it through raises, bonuses, or benefits. I'm thinking we should be looking for an expose by a disgruntled insider
Old 02-23-2011, 12:15 PM

At our town City Council meeting last night, Fillmore took a hit. Here is part of the article I wrote.

'One item on the Redevelopment Agency agenda was a request to accept a short payoff on a First Time Homebuyers Loan (FTHL) of $43,000 taken out in July of 2008 and the home is now for sale due to a divorce. The FTHL was used as the 15% down payment on the home’s $292,000 purchase price. The selling agents informed the City the property had decreased in value and the offering price today is $280,000 which is less than the payoff amounts of both the primary loan and secondary FTHL Agency loan. The seller’s settlement shows a shortfall and loss to the city of $18,936.71 with a pay back to the city of $24,863.29 or approximately 57% of the Agency’s original $43,800 loan. All of the loss is coming out of the FTHL which carried the second on the property, but there was little the City could do to prevent taking all of the loss. Both Cities of Oxnard and Port Hueneme have also suffered such losses. All Council Members reluctantly agreed to accept the short payoff.'

These "help the poor" handouts are coming back to haunt everyone, everywhere.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
I think this was in Santa Clara rather than San Jose, however I cannot confirm it because the county court website is not functioning, likely because of inept mangement and/or budgetary shortages. Either way, a half mil is enough to raise some eyebrows among the employees who feel they should have gotten it through raises, bonuses, or benefits. I'm thinking we should be looking for an expose by a disgruntled insider
The newspaper story refers to "Hispanic markets in San Jose..' and says the "city" has invested $500K.

San Jose is in Santa Clara County and that would be the venue for any dispute involving the City of San Jose.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:46 PM

No advertising!

Last edited by The Mediator; 04-15-2012 at 09:52 AM. Reason: spam