View Single Post
Old 11-10-2011, 08:09 PM
SOS Associate

Default Stop AB 131 Billboard Campaign

Stop AB 131 mobile billboard campaign Day 1

For several days the mobile billboard has sat in storage, even with the lettering done, as I took care of a little income matter. But today, even though it was nearing the end of the day, I finished what work I had and stopped by for a quickie to gather some signatures. I drove downtown and found an opening on the street directly in front of the State capitol, and set up the collecting tools. It was already nearing dark, so I laid out some clipboards and put up the little glass marquis on the bed of the trailer. Then I commenced asking passer's-by if they would sign. Mostly I got a lot of smiles, and a few thumbs down, but eventually I got some signers. A few people told me we need educated workers, but I just moved past them. After 30 minutes or so, one of your La Raza-mataz types wheeled past me on a bicycle giving me a very forceful middle finger when I asked if he wanted to sign. I couldn't help but laugh, 'cause it's always funny to see twenty-somethings flipping the bird at you like they were punk kids. He immediately turned the bike around and and started to confront me about "laughing in his face". He got really challenging, and confrontational, but I kept my cool and tried to usher him away. Eventually he cursed me repeatedly and rode away with the "bird" on high again.
One amazing item is that here I was at the legislative hub of the state, and people coming from inside the capitol didn't seem to know a thing about what the DREAM act was. I spent a bit of time 'splainin' things instead of getting sigs. Also, one fellow told me he was not allowed to sign because he worked for the legislature or the state.. Said he was supposed to remain "non-partisan". Sad to say, this is what works for the state.
Anyway, this was day 1, and I am looking to get 1,000 signatures as a personal goal.