View Single Post
Old 10-23-2009, 05:27 PM

Old 10-01-2009, 08:06 AM
Enlistee

The pick apart

Quote:
He said that Hispanic students were often ridiculed and beaten by their teachers for expressing their heritage through ways such as speaking Spanish in class.
40 years ago, if you were a smart ass or trouble maker, you got your ass smacked. Didn't matter what color your skin was. I believe my white ass wore out several paddles then referred to as "The Board of Education".

I know a Korean War Vet who grew up in East Los Angeles, He told me that even though his father was from Michoacan, he couldn't communicate with Mexicans. A lot of American born Hispanic kids back then didn't speak Spanish. I think I'll look him up and ask him about the "beatings" in school for speaking Spanish.

In 1958 Octavio Paz said that the "Mexicans" of Los Angeles didn't want to be either Mexican or American, but reveled in not fitting in with society of either countries.

In 1946, there was a teacher in the Inland Empire who enjoyed beating her kindergarten students (She was "equal opportunity". Race didn't matter). One little girl thought she was going to get a beating for not getting into class fast enough after recess, so she ran home.

Her Mexican mother asked her why was she was home and where was her coat? The girl told the story. Mama rapidly exited the house, and returned shortly with the coat.

To this day, the woman doesn't know what transpired between the teacher and her mother, but that white teacher steered clear of that little Hispanic girl from that day on.

And that was in the days when white and brown were separated by the tracks.

Quote:
Stephanie Martinez, 17, a student who helped organize the event, said she hopes Verdugo's talk can help students from different backgrounds understand what challenges Hispanic students had to overcome to have the rights they have today.

"I hope people realize that Asians and blacks weren't the only ones treated badly," she said.
The victimized race card, again.

Another recitation of the 1882 Chinese exclusion act and and Chicano hijacking of the black civil rights movement without saying the words.

Quote:
About 65 percent of the students at Moreno Valley High School are of Hispanic descent, said teacher Pete Loza.
And what is the drop out rate in that high school?