View Single Post
Old 09-01-2010, 07:24 AM

Quote:
French haughty? oh you bet!
I worked for a short while with some French and French Canadians in San Diego.

Of the pair I worked directly with, I was invisible to the Frenchman unless there was something he REALLY needed to communicate in arrogant, badly broken English.

The French Canadian was far more approachable. I'm curious about foreigners and people from other parts of America. In one of our conversations I asked about the hard feelings between the French Canadians and Anglo Canadians - he said it was all true but it wasn't between he and I.

True to many of the foreigners I have met who aren't fluent in English, he - unsolicited - began teaching me the names of tools and such in his language.

One Sunday I was discussing all this with a Cajun friend. My friend suggested greeting the Frenchies with "Como Se Va?" the next time I saw them and see what happened, which I did. They all got big smiles and said "Tre Bien!". The ice thawed after that.

A lot of Mexicans are like that. Some do have genuine trouble learning English, I believe many more just don't want to. There are many, particularly women (the men seem more of a sardonic or a cynical bent) who are aloof to anything beyond necessary communication. Some are afraid or distrustful, others are a-holes who want to work you around to accommodating them in their language. However, meeting the former half way with a little Spanish tends to open them up. If I think they are A-holes, I won't speak any Spanish with them unless I'm pissed off.

On the other hand and sad to say, I believe that out of 20 who appear friendly to the point of close friendship only one genuinely will be a friend. I am sometimes baffled by the contrasting behavior of poor Mexicans who share everything with each other and the fact that no one can screw a Mexican like another Mexican.

And I'm a gabacho, something "special" in the Mexican national consciousness.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-01-2010 at 07:40 AM.