View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:37 PM

Kellar will not offer apology
City Councilman stands firm despite Congressman Howard “Buck” McKeon’s call for apology
By Brandon Lowrey
Signal City Editor
blowrey@the-signal.com
661-259-1234 x520
Posted: Feb. 4, 2010 10:26 p.m.
POSTED Feb. 5, 2010 4:55 a.m.
http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/24200/

At least two prominent Republicans have distanced themselves from Santa Clarita City Councilman Bob Kellar since he used fiery rhetoric to decry amnesty for illegal immigrants at a rally last month, with one even calling on him for an apology.

But Kellar said this week that's out of the question.

"I am going to continue to be very clear: There will be no apologies coming from Bob Kellar," Kellar said. "As my parents taught me, you don't apologize unless you've done something wrong."

Whether Kellar had done anything wrong has been up for debate.

Kellar's speech at the rally included the fateful line: "If that's what you think I am because I happen to believe in America, I'm a proud racist. You're darn right, I am."

Some say he violated the city's ethics code and disgraced the city, while others have called him a hero for voicing his frustration over a broken system.

The debate has thrust the longtime councilman into the national spotlight.

On Tuesday, Congressman Howard "Buck" McKeon - who, technically, agrees with Kellar that the government should secure the border and not offer amnesty - said Kellar should say he's sorry and move on. McKeon was the founding mayor of Santa Clarita and is now the ranking Republican on the House Committee on Armed Services.

The congressman's statement came days after Republican gubernatorial candidate and former eBay CEO Meg Whitman rejected Kellar's endorsement and severed ties with him.

While Kellar has not faced punishment from the City Council, his speech at the rally on the corner of Valencia Boulevard and Magic Mountain Parkway appeared to have violated the city's code of ethics.

His fellow council members and the city attorney have said he did not violate the code, though several groups and some City Council candidates argue he has.

One of those groups threatened legal action this week.

Kellar said he does not regret his choice of words and offered a retort to McKeon.

"I am shocked to find elected representatives at every level of government failing to address this issue. It's unconscionable," he said.

"Therefore, I say, that perhaps my words have caused attention to this matter that is decades overdue."