View Single Post
Old 02-06-2010, 05:36 PM

Default McKeon: Kellar should offer an apology

McKeon: Kellar should offer an apology
Republican congressman says councilman should clarify ‘unfortunate statement,’ move on
By Brandon Lowrey
Signal City Editor
blowrey@the-signal.com
661-259-1234 x520
Posted: Feb. 2, 2010 9:36 p.m.
POSTED Feb. 3, 2010 4:55 a.m.
http://www.the-signal.com/news/article/24129/

Congressman Howard “Buck” McKeon has joined a chorus of critics calling on City Councilman Bob Kellar to apologize for his inflammatory remarks at a recent Valencia rally against amnesty for illegal immigrants.

“It was an unfortunate statement,” McKeon, R-Santa Clarita, said in a written statement. “I’d encourage it be clarified, cleared up, apologized for and moved on from.”

Meanwhile, a separate group has said it may battle Santa Clarita in court over alleged violations of its ethics code.

McKeon, the ranking Republican on the House Committee on Armed Services, was Santa Clarita’s first mayor and one of the city’s founders. The congressman opposes amnesty for illegal immigrants.

Kellar could not be reached for comment late Tuesday.

Last month, the longtime city councilman spoke at a rally held by several groups, including the Santa Clarita Valley Independent Minutemen.

He said the United States should have one flag and one language, and if people thought he was a racist for believing in America, then “I’m a proud racist. You’re darn right, I am.”

The statement, which Kellar has said was unplanned, has drawn national attention and prompted both support and fire from those on either side of the immigration debate.

The Full Rights for Immigrants Coalition brought its concerns over Kellar’s remarks to the Los Angeles County Board of Supervisors meeting Tuesday.

The group said Kellar’s remarks were full of factual falsehoods and violated Santa Clarita’s code of ethics for city officials.

“We are definitely pursuing legal action, because we don’t feel the City Council did anything (to reprimand Kellar),” said Robert Gittelson, a spokesman for the coalition. “They didn’t even give him a slap on the wrist.”

City Attorney Carl Newton reviewed a video of the rally and said he saw no ethical violations in Kellar’s statements. His comments are protected under the First Amendment right to free speech, Newton said.

comments to the article:
really:
February 03, 2010 - 09:46 AM
Mr. Kellar should not be told to offer an apology by Buck Mc Keon or anyone else for that matter.
If Mr.Mc Keon and the rest of the elected officals would do their jobs and enforce laws we would not be in this situation.
YOU GO KELLAR!!
TaylorConsulting:
February 03, 2010 - 12:32 PM
OMG people! Get a grip!
What Mr. Kellar said would be analogous to me saying "If loving my wife makes me purple, then I'm purple.". Does that mean I'm saying that I'm purple? Should I apologize because I'm NOT purple? NO NO NO NO NO!!! It means I love my wife.
In no way, shape or form do I believe that I have ever seen any evidence pointing to Mr. Kellar being a racist.
truthseeker:
February 03, 2010 - 01:33 PM
Kellar should be MAYOR!!!
politicsazusual:
February 03, 2010 - 02:41 PM
This is just part of a global intelligence forecast for the next decade that is interesting reading:
The greatest international issue for the United States will no longer be the Islamic world or even Russia, although both will have to be dealt with. The issue will be Mexico, and it is an issue with several parts. First, Mexico is a rapidly growing but unstable power on the U.S. border.
Second, Mexico’s cartels are gaining power and influence in the United States.
Third, the United States will be trapped by a culture that is uneasy with a massive Mexican immigrant population and an economy that cannot manage without it.
ChrisBall:
February 03, 2010 - 06:39 PM
I have nothing intelligent to add to this dialog.
old49er:
February 04, 2010 - 06:51 AM
Maybe Buck should apologize, resign, and then Kellar could run for Congress!
ryantheray:
February 06, 2010 - 07:05 PM
In 2007 I took a trip to Wash.DC and I spent an hour in Congressman McKeon's office discussing the amnesty that was being proposed at that time. What I received is what you would call lip service. He said he would vote against it, but beyond that he would do nothing. This was directly from his mouth. I left his office feeling he had let the citizens of this country down. McKeon will pander to whomever he thinks will keep him in office. Upon getting back to California I realized he wasn't even worth the trip to DC. and he's not worth keeping that congressional seat. Time to put Kellar there.