View Single Post
Old 08-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Archer

Default Vigil held for Milford crash victim Matthew Denice

http://m.milforddailynews.com/wkdMil...l=true#display

http://milford-ma.patch.com/articles...#photo-7505398
Peaceful Vigil for Matthew Denice

Young and old came to Draper Memorial Park Friday for a candlelight vigil to honor Matthew Denice, the motorcyclist killed in a hit-and-run collision

A diverse crowd of young and old, strangers and friends to Matthew Denice, descended on Draper Memorial Park Friday, in a peaceful, silent candlelight tribute.

The vigil lasted about an hour. People talked quietly among themselves about Denice, and what brought them to the event.

Many in the crowd of more than 1,000 people said they never met the 23-year-old, but had been moved to attend the vigil by the circumstances of his death. The event drew young parents, holding infants, and elderly residents, who brought chairs. More than 150 motorcyclists showed up, too, riding through town in a tribute to a fellow rider.

Denice was struck and killed while riding his motorcycle Aug. 20, by a pickup truck driver who police said dragged him a quarter-mile in the road. The man arrested and charged with the crime — Nicolas Guaman — has been charged with motor vehicle homicide and numerous other offenses.

Elaine Phillips almost didn't come. For the mother of two boys, 22 and 25, the tragedy had struck too close. "I wasn't going to come because I was so angry," she said. "But I got out of it. I set my anger aside for the family."

Judy Johnson, another longtime Milford resident, said she came in support of the family. "As a mother, your child is . . . that is any mother's greatest fear. Getting that phone call."

The night included a tribute ride by about 150 motorcyclists, who started on Medway Road, rode past people gathered at Draper Park, then circled around using Bancroft Avenue, the street where police said Denice was dragged, then abandoned, by the pickup truck driver.

Michael and Maureen Maloney, Matthew's parents, were standing on the sidewalk on Bancroft Street, several bikers said, when the cyclists rode past for their tribute.

"If he had just stopped, none of this would have happened," said motorcyclist Bill DiDonato, 56, referring to the man accused in Denice's death.