View Single Post
Old 10-12-2011, 06:48 PM

The French Revolution devoured its own children, and led to Napoleon and his destructive wars of empire.

Louis the 16th and Marie Antoinette may have not been such a bad bargain in retrospect.

I'm not sure the above quote concerning Gandhi is entirely justified. Gandhi defeated an empire without firing a shot. There was poverty in India during British domination, and there was poverty after the British left. There was poverty in India five hundred years before Christ, which was how Siddartha Gautama became the fount of Buddhism. I'm not so sure about Indian history since Gandhi, but the objective of early European imperialism was to enrich the home country by any means necessary - and looting of colonial resources was a part of it. Post colonial trade barriers are perfectly understandable.

I believe it's a little early to define the "occupy" movement, such as it is. I believe that far left wingers are trying to capitalize on general frustrated ignorance within the population. However, governmental pressure on lenders and over leveraged sheep among the general American populace bear equal responsibility with Wall Street opportunists for the melt down.

The old quote concerning the con man at his trial:

Quote:
I never cheated an honest man. They wanted something for nothing, and I gave them nothing for something.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 10-12-2011 at 06:58 PM.