Thread: Deport Pedro
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2010, 05:06 AM
"SZinWestLA"

Default Deport Pedro

The first question that rumbles through my mind is What type of school produces a valedictorian who winds up attending Fresno State? If a kid is wrapped in brown skin and graduates at the top of his class, he can essentially write his ticket to attend just about any college he likes - partial or full ride. Hell, admissions offices would fight over him. He's a minority hard to come by in college admissions. It's not like trying to find Jewish or Asian kids (hardly a challenge). Mexicans with academic bona fides are comparatively rare. He represents the "diversity" that prestigious post secondary institutions kill to put in classrooms. Vanderbilt, an Ivy, Cal, Stanford, Georgetown, Emory, Chicago, etc. He'd have been accepted at least half of those schools, even with sub-par entrance exams. He certainly didn't need to enroll at Farmer Tech.

Fresno State student body president no longer quiet about status as illegal immigrant

The parents of popular Cal State Fresno Student Body President Pedro Ramirez always talked a lot about el sueño Americano — the American Dream.

He was to study hard, get good grades and claim the prize, but it wasn't until that night in their kitchen when the high school valedictorian was filling out university applications that they told him a missing detail — he wasn't a United States citizen. He was born in Mexico. He came to this country when he was 3 years old.

Now, an anonymous tip to the college newspaper has forced Ramirez to publicly expose his secret and has put this son of a maid and a restaurant worker into the thick of a debate on immigration and education that has reached a boiling point in recent weeks. Some have called for his resignation while others have rallied to his defense.

"In a way, I'm relieved," said Ramirez, a 22-year-old political science major from Tulare, Calif. "I don't want to be a liability or cost the school donations. I never really thought this was going to happen. But now that it's out there, I finally feel ready to say, 'Yes, it's me. I'm one of the thousands.' "

Ramirez's critics say he wasn't honest with the student body about his immigration status when he ran for president and should resign.

"He misled the students … he should step down," Cole Rojewski, president of the campus' College Republicans and one of Ramirez's opponents in the race for president, said in a television interview.

Last edited by DerailAmnesty.com; 11-19-2010 at 05:13 AM.