View Single Post
Old 08-16-2010, 05:14 AM

Default Follow up on rally.

Follow up on rally.

Thousands of supporters.

30 counter protesters.

Video:

http://www.kvoa.com/news/border-tea-...igration-law-/

HEREFORD - Hundreds of SB1070 supporters are drawn to private land owned by American Border Patrol to say enough is enough.

"I'm here because I believe we should secure our borders," says one supporter.

Members of various Tea Party organizations demonstrated with flags and signs in support of Arizona's illegal immigration law.

"This is the United States of America and they're trying to break it up," says Glenn Spencer with American Border Patrol which is not associated with the U.S. Border Patrol.

Spencer says he knows the nation's eyes are focused on this pocket of the country, which many consider to be the front lines of the war on immigration, "The American people are not going to put up with the loss of their national sovereignty."

Spencer says he estimates the rally stage to be 700 feet from the border fence.

Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio, looked to as the symbol of the pro SB1070 movement are who many came to see, "It shows Washington that nice people come way out in the dessert to tell the world we have a problem," says Arpaio.

The controversial sheriff says tougher laws, not building more fence, will turn this problem around, "I want someone to tell me when they hop the fence what happens to that person. When they tell me they go to jail, when they come over that fence then I'll go for the fence. Until they tell me that, it's all garbage."

A number of speakers talked about border security including Arizona State Sen. Russell Pearce, one of the architects of Senate Bill 1070 and J.D. Hayworth, who is trying to oust U.S. Sen. John McCain in the GOP primary.

Supporters promise the fight to enforce federal immigration laws will go on