Old 02-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Default Reprieve ?

U.S. NewsView archive | RSS Feed
Receive Free UPI Newsletter Obama's aunt gets immigration reprieve
Published: Feb. 4, 2010 at 7:36 PM
ArticlePhotosListenVideosComments.Share Related Stories
Obama's aunt gets immigration reprieve
Obama's aunt's removal hearing closed-door
BOSTON, Feb. 4 (UPI) -- Kenyan national Zeituni Onyango, aunt of U.S. President Barack Obama, can stay in the United States -- for now, a Boston court said Thursday.

A judge gave Onyango and government lawyers 30 days to file closing arguments, after which he is expected to rule not later than May 25, The Boston Globe reported.

The U.S. Immigration Court hearing was part of her bid to avoid being deported from the United States. She was ordered back to her native country in 2004.

Attorney Margaret Wong, representing Onyango, called two doctors to support her client's bid for asylum. They testified she suffers from an autoimmune disorder, the Globe said.

Asked if President Obama submitted anything in support of his aunt, Wong said "absolutely not."

Onyango said she didn't need the president as a character witness.

"My problem is my problem," she said. "I carry my own cross."

Onyango is the half-sister of Barack Obama Sr., the president's father who died in 1982. Onyango and the president met in 1988 when Obama visited Kenya.

© 2010 United Press International, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Any reproduction, republication, redistribution and/or modification of any UPI content is expressly prohibited without UPI's prior written consent.

Order reprints