View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
I truly believe that at some point Prop 13 will be lost and seniors will start to lose there fully paid for homes. Most seniors live on some kind of retirement and SS. All the politicians want SS and Medicare to be gone, how long until they will succeed?
I know of a small old house in another city, where the property tax is more than double mine. I have prop 13 and the other house was purchased in about 1980 and is not under Prop 13.

Lets face it, WE DO NOT OWN ANYTHING. THE GOVERNMENT IN ONE FORM OR ANOTHER CAN TAKE IT AT SOME POINT. GOOD LUCK.
Rimo, If the house is in Calif. and bought in 1980 it is under Prop. 13. including business property. Those that owned their property before 1978 had their property taxes reduced and frozen to some degree (I'm not sure exactly how it worked, but they were taxed at a lower rate) All those buying after 1978 are taxed at 1% of the sales price, and then increased at 1% of the taxed rate per year, but only if the property value increases. The last two years many property taxes were adjusted to the devalued rate.

It is the corporate property the Democrats are "saying" they want out of Prop 13, but the reality is they would start with the business property and then continue with the residential. There are non-profits like C.A.U.S.E. out of Ventura that are (or were) paying people to man the phones in an effort to convince people to overturn Prop.13.

I remember back in the 70's when seniors were losing their homes due to non-payment of taxes. Not just a few, but many!!! There's not a tax a Democrat politician didn't want to put his arms around and hug.

Rimo today is not the same as the Democrat of yesterday, they're now "Progressives" and they stink. Republicans seem to pander to who every they think they can sway, and often go with the wind. We citizens seem to be on our own now. I hope we stay strong.