View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 05:17 PM

Default The Pocho is me

Apologies, this jumps from gays to "Latinos" concerning American culture and who defines it.

This is from a blog entitled "Ken Burns hates Mexicans".

I am not sure who does this blog, didn't look that far.

It seems that Ken Burns is a film maker of some sort, and the blogger has a axe to grind because he doesn't believe Burns puts enough brown bodies into his movies.

I place this here because on the one hand it has a lot of truth to it, touches on the changes which accompany transitioning from immigrant ancestors to assimilated American, and demonstrates the school pushed notion that the American descendant of immigrants should "remember where we came from" (as if the past without personal memory is somehow a present personal experience), and having pride in a delusional, contradictory notion of belonging to a foreign culture.

The blogger has an intro and a conclusion, separated from film critic Kiko Martinez' commentary by **

Quote:
05 February 2009
The Pocho is Me

The condition lives on. The in-between state of neither here nor there. The third-gen Brown experience of looking like a real Mexican yet speaking Spanish like a third-grader, of patiently explaining to your parents that it's pronounced Ramones and not Ra-mo-nes, blah-blah-Hybrid-Existence-blah. You know what I'm talking about.

And so does, apparently, Kiko Martinez, in his article about this year's San Antonio CineFestival, the nation's longest running Chicano/Latino film festival, in the latest issue of the San Antonio Current. A must-read:

A man running through the forest; a woman diving into a swimming pool; a funeral procession.

That’s all I’m able to grasp from watching the two-minute trailer for Matar a Todos as I scan through the CineFestival website for this year’s film lineup.

I’d like to know more about director Esteban Schroeder’s 2007 political thriller, but the preview is in Spanish (with no subtitles), and the only phrase I can recall my bilingual parents inadvertently teaching me growing up was, “¡Ay, como fregas!” (loosely translated as a way to express frustration).

Yes, I am a third-generation Latino living in the U.S. I like football but not fútbol, refer to snow cones as raspas, cringe at the smell of menudo. I can roll my Rs with the best of them, but I don’t know any of the words when my fiancée sings to her Julieta Venegas CDs in the car.

I’m a living, breathing example of an internal culture clash.

Now, with the 31st annual CineFestival upon us, I suddenly realize I can’t relate to most of the issues depicted in the various feature and documentary films scheduled to screen during the four-day event. I don’t know any undocumented immigrants, nor have I ever found myself caught in the middle of a turf war with a rival gang. I recognize the injustices and corruption occurring across Mexico and Latin America, but don’t consider them more or less significant than the same issues encountered in parts of the world where my ancestry doesn’t extend.

Does this mean CineFestival — the oldest running international Latino film festival in North America — is slowly but surely disconnecting itself from Latinos like me? Are Latinos like me so detached from our indigenous roots that we are indifferent to the struggles of past generations? Are Latinos like me tired of watching Latino filmmakers make movies about the border, day laborers, and poverty-stricken third-world countries?

I sincerely hope not.

As a film critic, I credit CineFestival for selecting some high-quality work on a variety of worldly topics that few other U.S.-based film festivals bother to include in their programs. As a Latino, I credit CineFestival for a lot more. For not losing sight of the festival’s primary focus for over three decades; for being receptive to filmmakers from countries such as Chile, Panama, and Uruguay and allowing them to share their unique Latino experiences; and for proving to Latinos like me that as long as we know where we come from, we’ll never lose pride in our culture.

As you can see, minus a list of the upcoming CineFestival film screenings, I've included the totality of Martinez's piece. Apologies. I kept looking for a bite-sized excerpt and couldn't bring myself to edit down to a blog-friendly length. Couldn't do it. Was fascinated throughout.

http://brownstate.typepad.com/ken_bu...n-running.html

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 12-11-2009 at 05:36 PM.