View Single Post
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
It was the original title that read like it was urging people to support a candidate. We don't want the forum to be used as a medium for partisan or candidate support. Discuss the candidates all you want, but refrain from using the forum as a platform to encourage others to vote for, or contribute to a certain candidate or party.
We placed some of these restrictions on ourselves because the last regime at SOS developed a particular political bent that led to outright ostracism if you expressed an opposing opinion or supported another party or candidate. If we maintain a certain distance from political partisanship we might not experience that again. In addition, we don't want prospective associates and supporters reading the forum titles to get an impression that we are a partisan or candidate specific organization. within the thread content there's a little more leeway for that because it is more apparent that it is the opinion of the individual poster, but again it must stop short of being your prominent agenda for posting here.
That's fine. I don't recall what the original title was. But I don't think it makes much sense to try and tell posters not to have a political bent since opposing some immigration policy and practice is certainly a political bent. It can be no other way. If you want to prevent people from being ostracized for voicing a particular point of view you are bound to be frustrated. If somebody were to come here posting support or sympathy for illegal immigrants, they are bound to suffer some negative responses.

But most importantly, I don't think it is necessary to make reference to SOS's status as a 501C organization in administrating posts at the forum, since the individual opinions of posters should have no effect on that.

I think as we head towards June we had better brace ourselves for discussions on the candidates. What good is a forum like this at a place like this if you can't argue over political candidates?