View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 04:30 PM
SOS Associate

The Urban Rifle Hike II happened today. After making Brekkie for my wife, I gathered up my 30.06 rifle and 20 rounds of ammo, along with two bottles of water, an extra shirt, first aid kit, and a video camera. I packed everything except the rifle in a small backpack, and rubber-banded a small American flag to the barrel of the rifle. At the last minute I opted to take along two left-over lumpia for lunch. I set out at a little after 9 am, and managed a brisk pace. There was no interference from law enforcement this time at all. One waved at me, and that was the extent of their involvement. I got a lot of looks for sure. No one spoke to me, save for a few joggers who passed. The day was hpt, but I manged to stay in the shade for quite a bit of the time. Not to say I didn't sweat, 'cause I did plenty. I tried a new route down a road that just opened some months ago, and traffic was a bit lighter on it. It also shave a few blocks from the whole tour, but it was still about 10 miles one way. I encountered a small dead rattlesnake which gave me a start, 'cause he didn't really look dead at first. Other than that I did my best not to look anything but pleasant to everyone. I arrived at the shooting center at high noon, and bought a ticket. From there is was business as usual with the exception that a few people had brought along some high tech gear that I had never seen before. One had a few antennas jutting out and was placed right in the line of fire in front of there rifle position, and a few feet ahead. All that was hooked up to something else by wires and wireless. Don't know what it did, and didn't want to ask today. I also couldn't help but notice how so many people had newer, sportier looking rifles that resembled your Rambo movie equipment. I shot off some rounds and then asked my wife to pick me up. Too sore to walk ten miles home, My wife swung by the Yoghurtville store on the way back and treated me to a sugar free German chocolate cake flavor yoghurt. I'd kind of swore off of the sweets for the next few months, but what the hell.......