View Single Post
Old 11-12-2012, 09:35 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerailAmnesty.com View Post
On this particular occasion, Jean, your problem is not the low opinion I have of you. Rather, it is the substance of what you’ve asserted, most of which is simply wrong. These things are not a matter of opinion, they’re easily verifiable.

When you say Go to a university campus such as USC, Stanford, UCLA and you'll see "AMERICANS NEED NOT APPLY" is what is happening, that’s just not right.

You certainly don’t have to take my word for it. Here are the statistics for the schools you listed. The LARGE majority of students on the campuses are Americans:

USC - 12% of undergraduates are foreign students; http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/...123961#enrolmt

UCLA - 6% of undergraduates are foreign students; http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/...110662#enrolmt

Stanford - 8% of undergraduates are foreign students; http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/...243744#enrolmt

Further, when you opine that Those that start businesses only hire their own, not Americans!!!, that’s wrong also.

I can assure you, Jean, that Google employs many people who are not Russians, the large majority of folks hired by Intel have not been Hungarians, and that most people working for Hovnanian Homebuilders are not Iraqis. Don’t believe it? Try walking into one of their offices or places of business. Those are all California entities.

Hey, if you like, trot across the Yahoo! campus at 24th and Broadway in Santa Monica. I do all the time. It’s less than two miles from my home. If promise you that if you do, you’re going to see a majority of people working there aren’t Chinese.
She has a point about many of the colleges seeking more foreign students. The stats may be as you say now, but the schools are actively seeking more foreigners. One of my kids was passed over at Berkley for foreign students who had lesser grades, and that was nearly four years ago. Since then, there has been several articles I've read, and especially so lately, about the USC and others marketing stronger to foreigners. I suppose it matters a little where you are in terms of what you see on campus, but I am getting a whiff of trend. It's not that hard to believe either. Job gains by foreigners and immigrants have been reported to be strong this past few years also. I don't think that the architects of this immigration scheme care if they are illegals or legals, and when the economy is down and you have a tough time selling congress on raising caps on foreign workers, it makes sense they would market the schools in place of that.

the foreigners hiring thing is true, but largely to the extent of low tec verses hi tech. Foreigners who get a degree in business management or accounting or something akin to that, and then open a market, restaurant, or motel, will generally hire other immigrants, and often from their own origin. I see it alot in grocery stores owned by asians, even the bigger, newer supermarket types. All fellow asians and a few latino.
Now high tech is a bit different. You're right that they will hire anyone.