View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriotic Army Mom View Post
That happened to one of my sons. I told him once if it was known who his boss was, they'd be turned into immigration. I also warned him he'd probably have his job taken, and guess what, it happened. It was in construction. He didn't speak Spanish! Although he is browner then some of those who worked there, they made up stuff and got him laid off. F____.
This happens quite a bit.

When they were just a sprinkling in the 70's, they worked real hard to get along. Now it seems you can't get a job unless you're a Mexican National.

I was on one job almost five years ago (in addition to the other two I mentioned being run off from) working for a Mexican foreman with a mostly Mexican national crew (the only other white was a young female laborer). The foreman himself was ok to get along with, but his son came off a three week or month vacation in Mexico. He showed up one day his father took off, was an insufferably arrogant asshole who acted like King Shit, and I made it known right away that I wasn't into being treated like shit from some wannabe cacique (Indian leader subordinate to the authorities or petty tyrant).

An hour later, the safety guy who oversaw my hiring showed up with an embarrassed look on his face and two checks. I guess the son didn't have enough balls to hand me the checks himself.

As well, if a brown American kid with a Spanish last name hears them talking about Jose or Juan coming over the border tonight, he just might as well sack his tools that afternoon and wear his good clothes to work tomorrow to get his lay off checks.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 01-08-2010 at 05:33 PM.