View Single Post
Old 01-07-2010, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
When I called Jean this afternoon, I was at a tire shop getting a replacement tire for one I split open yesterday. This little shop in Rio Linda was kiddee corner from another one that was flying two big mex flags, and one American flag. I told the owner the reason I came here was specifically that. He shook my hand and said something about why do they come here if they think mexico is so great.
So add tire shops to the list. 3 tire shops in one week for me, and only one owned or staffed by english speaking people.
Ah hell! the list is getting endless really: Roofers, landscapers...craigslist has numerous ads in the business section in spanish
I asked the aforementioned Mexican (from central Mexico) what did he like about America. his reply was that people who work in Mexico earn just enough money for the bare essentials - according to him cars and Tvs are unaffordable.

When I asked him what he didn't like about America, he smoothly changed the subject - didn't answer the question. Real slick with the evasion.

Most of what I have observed about him is that he is working very hard to preserve his Mexican - ness, I believe his past reluctance to learn English is a part of it. He doesn't appear to have much curiosity about anything which is not Mexican, unless it happens to be female.

I once took him to a Peruvian restaurant - he was at a loss as to what to order - nothing was familiar to him, and I believe he was a little uncomfortable with the unknown. He ordered exactly what I ordered. He also tore from his dinner roll like he would a tortilla. I half expected to see him try to push some of his food into the roll with the piece of bread like I've seen him do almost daily with tortillas.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 01-07-2010 at 05:40 PM.