View Single Post
Old 04-02-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
And also, the most fundamental problem with hiring illegal immigrants is when the people doing the hiring are themselves immigrants of one kind or another.
This is true. Once an immigrant (legal or otherwise) or an anchor baby is in a position where he/she makes hiring decisions any American citizen can expect to not get hired. My son faced this when he entered the employment market, a 16 year-old boy of reasonable intelligence both eager and willing to work could not get a job at any fast food outlet within a reasonable distance from his home. My daughter, on the other hand, has learned from his misfortunes, and has learned Spanish in order to get work when she turns 16 in November. It is utterly reprehensible that an American citizen has to learn a foreign language in order to get employment in at the entry level.

Quote:
This is where we need to police the people doing the hiring. Illegal immigrants, especially those from non-English speaking countries can't get jobs unless they are hired by somebody who speaks their language. This is most likely to be either an anchor baby, or some immigrant who is in the country legally.
The real problem is that these people are NOT loyal to their new country. This is THE between the immigrants of previous generations, and the new immigrant of this generation. Much of this can be attributed to the advances of technology. Today, it is not very hard to keep track of what's happening in their home country. Back in the day, it was virtually impossible to do that. Therefore, the ties to home country are never completely cut, and their loyalties remain with the home country. This is why many of the south of the border immigrants and their children still think of themselves as Mexican, Honduran, Guatemalan, etc.

Quote:
It doesn't make sense to persecute US companies who happen to hire illegals when it is the legal immigrants or anchor babies in the system who make it possible. We need these companies to hire legitimate US citizens and if they won't, then they need to go out of business. Immigrants who own businesses who do the same thing need to be thrown out of the country.
No, it doesn't make sense to persecute these companies, but it makes sense to prosecute them. The way to deal with business is to hit their bottom line. This means fines and penalties for each illegal alien hired. This means publishing their names, and allowing the populace to deal with them in the best way possible. Ultimately, when their bottom line is hurt, they will change.

Quote:
McDonalds is a huge US company and it makes no sense to persecute the company for the practices of a few employees. Of course they are liable, but they should be brought to halter in a different spirit than if the company is actually owned by an immigrant. Liability should be applied based on who is doing the hiring. Are the interviews conducted in English? There's a big clue as to what is going on there. If a company allows job interviews to be conducted in anything but English, then they must be complicit.
No, McDonalds is systemically involved in the hiring of illegal aliens. As such they must be punished as a whole for what goes on in either their franchises or corporately owned stores. As I said above, only until their bottom line is hurt, they will continue to wink at managers and franchise owners that continue to violate the law.

The other thing that will help this country is to make English the OFFICIAL language of the United States. Meaning that all official business must be done in English. I have changed my view on this. Prior I wanted an English preference, but I have begun to see the need to make English the official language. Without a common language, our country and culture will continue to balkanize. I have recently seen this in the community that I am currently living in which is predominately Asian. The teens PREFER to speak their "home" languages over English with their peers. English must be made the official language of the United States.