View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
"Whether or not we like this law is irrelevant since this is law, and while it can and should be change to affect future anchor babies, it cannot be made retroactive."

Why not? Why can't we make it retroactive?
It would be, in my opinion as a layman, unconstitutional. If someone, such as, SZ, can demonstrate to me from case law why this would not be the case, then I would be willing to change my view.

Quote:
Do you think we would be better off if we could make it retroactive?
If you are so willing to do this to illegals, then I would presume that you would have no issue with the government doing the same to you, correct?

Quote:
Do you think that the children of illegal immigrants should be given any public education at all?
Based on the law as it presently stands, yes, they should.

Quote:
You don't see that as being the real problem?
The real problem is a government that does not enforce its sovereign borders.

Quote:
But the constitution does not speak for itself and, rather obviously, our immigration and the process by which we mint citizens has been vastly corrupted. It doesn't make much sense to try to confront the issue within the confines of what is true constitutionally when illegal immigration is operating outside of what is constitutionally true. What we say should not be limited by the constitution.
I am not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:
The constitution is a fluid document.
So you are a liberal, then? Only liberals make this sort of statement.

Quote:
It was not carved in stone by God, it was written by human beings and we agree to it as a matter of citizenship and no other reason. We could change it to make it more explicit as to the issue of citizenship and who or who should not qualify as US citizens.
Yes, we could, and should, according to the manner in which the Constitution prescribes.