View Single Post
Old 11-08-2010, 07:51 PM
SOS Associate

My most recent exchange with them

Quote:
OK,

I would like to find out how the county voters can get there ballots without spanish language on there. The ballot has become confusing to say the least, and the sample ballot had such small lettering to make room for the spanish that some of it was difficult to read. I don't think the majority of residents in Sacramento want bilingual ballots. I realize the election code requires the county to make certain voter information available in other languages, however there is nothing in the code that requires the majority of english speaking citizens to have their information comingled in the manner that it is. Spanish language speakers can request theirs in Spanish as can others, so I don't see why we cannot request ours in English only

How does a citizen effect these changes?
Quote:
Dear Davi,

There are several reasons your voting material is bi-lingual. Most importantly, the Federal Department of Justice, which oversees the implementation of the Voting Rights Act, prefers materials to be presented in bi-lingual format in that separating out Spanish language voters could be seen as intimidation. Preparing and producing two sets of voting materials is too time-consuming to allow us to meet the statutory deadlines for distribution of these materials. Finally, the cost of preparing and producing these two sets of materials does not provide a cost savings over producing combined materials.

Please feel free to contact me at 916 875 6255 if you have further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

Alice Jarboe