View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
... We're all kinda like siblings, so we're going to fight amongst ourselves from time to time. Try not to show your weaknesses though. Your siblings aim for those first
I really take exception to that. I am nothing like a sibling to anyone posting here. I don't know or care anything about anyone posting here besides their opinion. And that would be true even if I knew everyone personally face to face. This is typically an anonymous forum. If some people here know each other face to face, I would say it actually prevents them from expressing themselves. Forums like this are best served in allowing people to express themselves free of the incumberance of face to face obligations.

But this also represents an organization with activities on the ground somewhere and so I suppose it is inevitable that people feel those obligations too. But as a poster, I would encourage people to express themselves as openly and as honestly as they can. The problem, I think, is when people take advantage of the anonymity to be deceptive or calculating in ways they'd like to be in person if they could. Or, when they can. Some people make the mistake of applying rhetorical devices in arguments that work in person, but don't work in written correspondence. Constantly stepping out of an argument to analyze the argument, or getting personal. This always works in person where the victim has no choice but to walk away to shut the fool up.

You can't constantly interrupt somebody posting at a forum like this or physically intimidate them. And if somebody is aggravating you, just ignore them.