View Single Post
Old 11-04-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrilee View Post
You make some very good points here. I think that it is very likely that there are many who do abuse the system, but I think we need to work on identifying those individuals who legitimately do rely on these benefits to survive. In the case of the adult baby for example, I do think that this is someone that maybe deserves the benefits. What would we do with all of those who cannot take care of themselves if we suddenly pulled the carpet from under these folks? It is naive to think that we are separate from "those people", and that we can turn a blind eye to the challenges that they face. The reality is, that any one of us could find ourselves suddenly, and unexpectedly disabled, and without all of us looking out and taking care of each other, a simple disability can easily mean death, or at the very least, a miserable existence.
That is what family is for. Your family should be responsible for you and vise-versa. There are family members being paid by the system to tend to their own family. Why should the tax payer be paying people to care for their own family? When I spoke to the person in charge of welfare fraud here in Ventura County, when I asked her if it was true that the fraud rate was about 30% she responded that it was much higher than that. If the fraud rate on income tax evasion were that high you can bet the Gov would be on it in seconds. But welfare fraud is attacking "the poor" so it's hands off. But if you've been inside some of the homes of those on welfare you'd often see high end electronics and new furniture. Not all of course, but enough to realize that our welfare system is being milked and there are plenty getting fat on the cream. To point to those who actually need a helping hand as a reason to continue this system is to completely ignore a system that is doing more harm than good. The system needs to be stopped and completely reexamined. There are a thousands of nonprofits that can be turned to if the need is that great. Those nonprofits get billions in grants and are often as corrupt as the welfare system, so why have both?