View Single Post
Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbegone View Post
Sincere question:

There are laws which require showing identification to LEOS on demand, but are there any laws which require anyone, citizen or not, to carry identification on their person as they go about their public day?.
Depends on which state you're in. California has no stop and ID law. You don't have to ID yourself unless you are being arrested. The problem with not ID'ing yourself is that they are free to ID you as they want, and let you prove otherwise. If they say you match a description of Bad Leroy Brown who has three warrants out in a county or state far, far away, You could be in for a wait to get to court and let them prove you're this person. If you say you're not that person and produce ID, you're less likely to be held.
But can they just ask anyone walking down the street in California for ID just based upon their inquisitiveness?...they can, but under that premise, you are not beholden to answer or produce any ID.

Back when I still had a running business with daily or weekly customers, I started refusing to accept out of state drivers license from oregon mostly, as soon as I discovered they were giving them to illegals for the purpose of driving. If they gave me a credit card or tried to use a check to buy or deposit money on goods, I told them no go on Oregon license as ID. And it happened many times too. One guy had Oregon plates on his car that read "immgrnt" or something close to that, and bought a restaurant downtown.