View Single Post
Old 07-05-2010, 03:45 PM
"SZinWestLA"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
With all due respect, your comparison to movie theaters and schools is not relevant. The military demands cohesion and harmony the likes of which do not even come close to the examples you posted. Personally, I don't think gays should be excluded from service, however I believe they should be segregated in units similar to the way females are from males. The precedent has already been established for that, and the similarities exist.

You're right, precedent exists for what you suggest. They used to have black-only units, also. The question is (as per the standards you are fleshing out), does integrating homosexuals with straights present a problem so insurmountable that cohesion and harmony can't exist?

So far, based upon the record, I'd say it doesn't bode well for you. The military doesn't separate the Jews and the Muslims, the Catholics and the Protestants or even enlistees who have had ties or family members associated with the Bloods and the Crips. All these disparate groups have largely managed to function together. Further, there are plenty of gays who have put their time in the Armed Forces and been decorated for meritorious and heroic service (and they weren't performing segregated duty at the time they logged their accomplishments).

And of course, Davi, we have now wandered well off the path taken by the guy who wrote the piece, above, who was arguing that gays shouldn't serve for medical-related reasons.