View Single Post
Old 12-15-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
"It's important in that this forum is a publication of our main agenda and work."

But the forum is not anything at all like that. That is precisely what it is not. There are many subjects on this forum that have absolutely nothing to do with SOS. Sports, for example. The forum is for discussions shaped by the subjects iin the various categories posted for the benefits of anonymous registered viewers and posters. It has nothing to do with advocating a particular point of view. Is registering for the forum all that is necessary to become a member of SOS? If so, then all that has to be done to free the forum from that restriction is to remove that qualification.

I don't care if I am a member of SOS. I first came to the SOS forum because I wanted to talk about illegal immigration and immigration in general. That's the only reason. I found the forum by searching Google. If I sympathize with SOS or post advocacy of the organization, it is entirely incidental. None of my opinions should be considered the voice of SOS or some member, they should not be considered advocacy by SOS, just my personal, private opinion. And restricting the ability for me to express support or opposition to some political candidate on this forum seems to me to be an editorial or forum administrative policy and not a legal obstacle. Such restrictions do risk the accusation of political correctness.
The forum is pointedly representative of our agenda. While the individual posts are the opinions of the posters, we shape the overall body of the forum. We have certain stated values and rules regarding racial, religious, and political material that are posted here. Someone espousing a racially exclusive philosophy for example, is not something we support, and therefore wouldn't like to see dominating the forum because it might give them the impression that we were a racially based or themed organization. The same applies to political candidacy:
Discuss the material without appearing to espouse it to the point you are advertising or recruiting for them.

We've already stated that discussions about candidates are ok. When the material posted here takes a turn towards advocacy for them it starts to run afoul of our rules. The other sections of the forum that you mentioned such as entertainment, while not pointedly aimed at our effort, are placed there for everyones' use, but we wouldn't like to see any one of them become the main subject or reason people read or posted either.