View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Do you settle for that? You have no opposition to that?
Opposition or not, that's the way it is.

There are people who have been NATURALIZED citizens for 30 and 40 years who don't speak English, and don't want to.

And, while I don't believe it is as severe as others do, I have met people who have graduated from US high schools who don't speak much English at all, right next to zilch.

My latest experience with all this (short story, there's much more to it to piss you off than I'm relating) was with a co-worker who barely spoke English. The company we were employed by paid him to go to ESL classes - he took the early time off but was busted going home on a regular basis instead of going to class. Eventually he was asked for documentation to prove that he was going to the classes, but never ponied it up. So eventually he was terminated from employment.

So, here is a guy who was too "proud" of his Mexican-ness to bow to English even while being paid to learn in addition to all the other scams he allegedly committed. And while most Mexicans are willing to work for peanuts, he was making good money - threw it all away in exchange for his concept of what it is to be "Mexican".

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 08-24-2010 at 08:01 PM.