View Single Post
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
Only a "liberal' would believe that we should be giving public education to the children of illegal immigrants. If we educate the children of illegal immigrants, that is just one more incentive for them to come here illegally.
You can call me a liberal if you like, but I am only following legal precedent. The way the law is written now, they have the right to it. I want to change that so that this will no longer be the case in the future.

Quote:
Do you think the children of illegal immigrants should be US citizens by birth? If not, then why not and if you have a good reason, then why should the children of illegal immigrants ever be considered US citizens?
No, I do not think that children of illegal aliens should be given birthright citizenship. In fact, birth right citizenship should be ended. I believe that the citizenship of the mother should be bestowed upon any child born in the United States. I believe that the changing of the birthright citizenship to what I mention above would require a Constitutional amendment which might invalidate the 14th Amendment and cause problems with some African-American citizens.

The good reason I have that children born in the past and until the law changes are American citizens is US case law. You might want to read those decisions.

Quote:
"If you are so willing to do this to illegals, then I would presume that you would have no issue with the government doing the same to you, correct?"

What the government does to illegals has nothing to do with what the US government can or can't do to US citizens. Why is it necessary to explain this?
Actually, it does have a lot to do with American citizens. Sadly, it seems that there are people who have failed to learn anything from history, and therefore are doomed to repeat it.