View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rim05 View Post
I have never been one to use 'nick names' for any one or group. I do wonder how many think about the above names given to others. I have heard Hispanic use some of those names but they can complain to high heaven to about anything that does not have sugar sprinkled on it. I still prefer INVADERS. I don't see how they can complain about that but I am sure they can/will. This is my first time to even hear the word ginny
Oh Rimo, you didn't have a parent from New York as I did. My mother knew every name for everybody. New Yorkers would use those names quite often years ago, or at least they used to before political correctness. We here in the west used those terms or names only when we were referring to someone in a derogatory terms, but in New York, at least years ago, those terms were used when someone was just referring to someone, kind of like we would say ‘Hay you guys’ but addressing a group of your friends who might all be women or women and men. Guys, was just referring to people not exactly males. It was just a name tag, as all those ethnic name tags were years ago in New York, but are now considered ethnic slurs. That's political correctness.

I caught someone about a month ago making a joke about Polish people, and he was Hispanic. I pointed out to him that I was part Polish and that political correctness wouldn't allow me to make the same disparaging remarks about Hispanics, but it seems completely acceptable to do it about Polish people. I also noted to him that I was not offended by what he had said, but just pointing out the double standard.

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 11-19-2009 at 12:15 PM.