View Single Post
Old 09-13-2010, 03:48 AM

I'm not sure about all this, I think our "immigration" situation over the last thirty years is more of an economic nature rather than a replacement problem.

As in the old model of subsistence farmers, there has to be enough of a younger population to support the elderly, but I don't believe it would be at such a high rate of young to old.

What I saw in the 80's was not due to a lack of able bodied and skilled workers, but a recession recovery in America and a small Mexican middle class essentially wiped out by a necessary devaluation of the Peso after the oil industry crisis in the early 80's. American employers took advantage of the situation by hiring illegal foreigners for pennies on the dollar. Word got out, and the third world flood began.

One of the problems with the way our economy is set up is that if a locality or region isn't growing, it's dying. Hence all the housing boom fueled in part by all those people coming here in such a great mass, "white flight" from overpopulated cities increasingly packed with foreigners, the notion of a house being an investment/ATM rather than a home, and artificial inflation of real estate values. Then the inevitable collapse.

As well as the fact that we can pave over only so much farmland before the population becomes unsustainable.

Currently we do have quite a number of older people who aren't quite done with their working lives who are unemployed while a stroll through town will find all sorts of jobs filled with people who shouldn't be here in the first place and wouldn't be if the government had enforced the 1986 immigration/amnesty law. I know people of all ages who have been out of work for a couple of years who would do those jobs.

I believe our situation at this time is more about who gets the money, or perhaps who gets a bigger cut than an aging population, and it's in the interest of "got mine" Republican party backed business to have a excess of people competing for jobs, as well as a Democratic party "leadership" blindly seeking a constituency.

Regardless of how many citizens lose their homes or people in their fifties who end up sleeping on their PARENT'S couch.

Importing people while exporting jobs as well as shoveling all our capital to China just isn't going to work, and either people in Congress are too stupid to see it, or they just don't friggin' care.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-13-2010 at 04:56 AM.