View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 05:20 AM

Default Explained .

Just to keep the record clear, computers are composed of two different basic components of operation. Hardware and soft ware.

The hardware is all of the mechanical, physical components such as the hard drive, CD bay, mother board, the memory, CPU, fan, wiring and a variety of other parts that basically conduct the electricity around to different places and cause the various items to perform mechanically in the desired way.

Software is basically written programs that send messages to the various hardware making them do whatever is desired. The software sends orders and stores data magnetically on disks.

Software doesn't damage hardware. A hacker cannot send some destructive pulses or bolts of lightning to fry any hardware, The hacker can only send various orders to the software programs, boot configuration, directories, files, to do any of several things. Mal-ware, Ad-ware, worms, viruses, Trojan Horses, data miners.

Some companies keep track of the sites you visit then send E-mails trying to sell things. The malicious hackers will send messages to the computer telling it to delete files, or corrupt files or order actions that can disable the computer so that it won't boot or will no longer follow the owners software commands. Some malicious unwanted invasions will allow a computer to keep functioning but slow it down significantly.

When a computer fails due to hardware it is because the component has malfunctioned in some way. The hardware needs to be replaced. However, when a computer fails due to software it is often so contaminated with embedded intruders junk that practically it is easier to use any one of a number of remedial systems. Modern computers use a system reset/restore feature that takes it back to an earlier date. That bypasses the hackers input. Other remedies are system restore disks that you can make or order from the manufacturer. They will restore the original software that was installed on the new computer but all subsequent software and files will be lost. So a backup is all important.

I pretty much just gave up on the usual computer repair services such as Comp-USA, Staples, Best Buy. The technicians are either young kids or under-qualified foreigners or otherwise not very well qualified. They usually give up and resort to wiping the hard drive which I can do myself at home. I only buy HP products and I ship the product back to the factory repair facility, if it is a hardware problem. A motherboard is a major replacement expense. When ever repairs reach 50% of the products value I will not repair. I buy new. HP sells recovery disks for $16.29 that reinstall Windows and all other factory software. And I can run the recovery disks at home. The Windows XP OS took 11 disks. The Windows Vista is now three disks. It will take about 4 to 5 hours to run them. Windows - 7 "clean install" software sells at Costco for $179 presently . But it does have some remedial, repair on it and it won't wipe out the files.

When a person buys a new computer with factory installed software they don't get the disk for whatever is installed. So in order to repair - they must buy new disks IF they fail to make the recommended recovery and systems disks as recommended.

Not much can be done to prevent a hardware failure. But adequate software security can prevent hacker damage. New viruses are being created daily so it is important to keep updating the software.

Here's an example of a dangerous hacker. I received this notice via E-mail from a friend 2 day ago:

Just passing this on . . .

READ IMMEDIATELY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HI ALL THIS was sent to me by our son who is in charge of the computers for the state of Florida -- whenever he receives anything like this it is a warning to the State as well as all us little people --

VERY IMPORTANT , PLEASE READ THIS

Anyone-using Internet mail such as Yahoo, Hot-mail, AOL and so on. This information arrived this morning, Direct from both Microsoft and Norton Please send it to everybody you know who has Access to the Internet. You may receive an apparently harmless e-mail titled 'Mail Server Report' If you open either file, a message will appear on your screen saying: 'It is too late now, your life is no longer beautiful....'

Subsequently you will LOSE EVERYTHING IN YOUR PC, And the person who sent it to you will gain access to your Name, e-mail and password. This is a new virus which started to circulate on Saturday afternoon. AOL has already confirmed the severity, and the anti virus software's are not capable of destroying it.

The virus has been created by a hacker who calls himself 'life owner'.

PLEASE SEND A COPY OF THIS E-MAIL TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS, And ask them to PASS IT ON IMMEDIATELY!

THIS HAS BEEN CONFIRMED BY SNOPES.

http://www.snopes.com/computer/virus/mailserver.asp

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your E-mail and More On-the-Go. Get Windows Live Hot-mail Free. Sign up now.

Last edited by wetibbe; 01-14-2010 at 07:57 AM.