View Single Post
Old 08-31-2010, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mea View Post
At least Mexicans don't try to look down on everybody else or import their own bigotry.
Yeah, a lot of them do.

Mexico has a nationalism born of inferiority complex often expressed through a Latin American brand of xenophobia. As a people, they can be as arrogantly bigoted as anyone else. If they feel safe, this can be pretty rude, if not it can be passive aggressive.

I went out on a job a few years back where the majority were illegal. I'm not fluent but I often understand exactly what is going on - those jokers were talking among themselves that I, in my own country, was taking one of "their" jobs and they were going to run me off.

Until they found out I had a skill which none of them did, and without me they wouldn't be working.

It pays to learn Spanish, not so much to cater to them but to play dumb in order to let those who kiss your ass in English out themselves by talking crap about you in Spanish when they think you don't have a clue.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.