View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 09:19 PM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingnut View Post
I just got back from Costa Rica last week. I was taking a public bus from Tamarindo and we were stopped by the police at a checkpoint and boarded. Everyone presented identification and I showed my passport. It seems they have a problem with illegals. Why can't we do something like that here? ACLU uuuummm???
I don't know.....Boarding a bus, plane, or ship within the US, and only traveling to points within the Us should not give rise to an ID check without reasonable suspicion. I don't think we want to give the government the power to perform blanket searches on everyone. The hospital though, is extending a service and unless the recipient of those services is paying in cash, the hospital has a right to ask for ID when extending credit or charity. And if the taxpayers are footing the bill for any charitable services at the hospital, I believe they have a strong obligation to demand ID from the recipient. Hospitals are like any other business, and they do credit checks on people applying for credit. If the recipient cannot provide ID, or provided some that led one to believe they were in the country without authorization, reporting that is a community service, much like reporting the carrier of a communicable disease.