View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 02:00 PM

Sup. Molina, chair: Followed by althea shaw.

Jamiel shaw: Good afternoon.

Sup. Molina, chair: Good afternoon, sir.

Of course, my name is jamiel shaw. Like anita said, we're still stuck on march the second. I still don't even believe it happened. I wake up every day three or four times a night and don't sleep anymore just thinking about my son all day, all night. And it's just consuming my life and we just don't understand the nonchalant attitude that this is no big deal and it's been two years, get over it. You know, we still don't even believe it happened.

We've had plans for my son. You know, we've -- we thought we made it, you know. He was getting ready to go to college. He was getting recruited from rutgers. He was getting recruited from pete carol gave him a tryout. Stanford was looking at him. He was really doing what he's supposed to do. Never been arrested. Wasn't in any gang. No gang database. Never suspended from school. And when you go through all this, you expect good things to happen. And when it doesn't, it really throws you, it really throws you a curve.

And when you come to people and you ask them to help us, my son was murdered on the same street that i was raised on. We moved into that house in 1970. And i was nine years old when we moved there. And my son was born, we brought him home to that same house. I played on that same street that he was murdered on. We have to walk by that spot all day long, every day. It's not fair. And what i want to ask you guys right now is just put yourself in our shoes. What would you do? What would you do if your son, you daughter, your husband, wife was walking home and they were murdered, shot dead in the street? I was there. I heard the gunshots. I ran outside to see my son laying there dead.

I still can't believe it. Bullet hole in his head. All of his blood in the street. And then we come to people every one thinks well it's not politically correct to talk about that and it's controversial. But we didn't ask for this, you know. We have people coming to our country to experience the american dream, and they're giving us an american nightmare, you know, it's a nightmare to wake up to see pictures. [applause.] to see pictures of your son in his bedroom and two years later, the same way. Shoes sitting there and his toothbrush. It is so debilitating to have to live like this and to see that no one really cares.

We know there are people who care, but no one is willing to step up. The politicians, you guys are the ones that we depend on. I'm a constituent. I pay taxes. I've been working since i was in the tenth grade. I've always tried to do the right thing. I'm not perfect, but i tried. And when we come to the people who are supposed to help us, the politicians, and you get nothing but it's too controversial because he was murdered by an illegal alien.

I mean, that's not fair to us. I have a 10-year-old son that asks me every day why did jazz have to die? And i have to hold him from crying. Everybody in my family is crying every day. No one's the same. And we feel like we're being let down because we have to fight for -- we have to fight just for our kids. You know if you would be in that same position, like i said, put yourself in that position. Picture your child laying there in the casket with the future that was just ready for him. Picture your mother, your father and you would understand where we're coming from. And if this doesn't make you want to be different or try to do something, then nothing will.

I mean we are seeing murders every day. Everyone is seeing it on tv. And what's being done? Nothing. People think it goes away with time.

Sup. Molina, chair: Mr. Shaw, do you want to start summarizing, please?

Jamiel shaw: It gets worse. I'm sorry for going over. It's just, we're dependent upon you guys to do something besides talk. We're past that. And i thank you for hearing me out. I know i went over. And just thank you again.