View Single Post
Old 09-30-2010, 10:06 PM
SOS Associate

Default California DREAM Act Goes Down In Veto

Cedillo loses another one. The people who keep asking him to get things done should start realizing he has been poisonous with his drivers license bills

Quote:
To the Members of the California State Senate:
I am returning Senate Bill 1460 without my signature.
I have always wholeheartedly supported the policy of making higher education
opportunities as affordable as possible for all California’s students. Our state’s university
and community college systems are amongst the finest in the country and should be made
accessible to those seeking a better life through higher education. Unfortunately, given
the precarious fiscal situation that the state faces, it would not be practical to adopt a new
policy that could limit the financial aid available to students that are in California legally,
in order to provide that benefit to those students who are not.
Since the beginning of the year, I have committed to provide the highest amount of
funding for higher education, including for financial aid to needy students, that I believe
is prudent given all of the competing interest for limited resources. Given the difficult
decisions that are yet to be made to enact a state budget, I am still hopeful that the
funding level that I have proposed for higher education will still be enacted. However,
with that uncertainty, coupled with the ongoing fiscal liabilities California will continue
to face in the coming years, the State needs to be especially cautious in even considering
enacting a measure like this.
For these reasons, I am unable to sign this bill.
Sincerely,
Arnold
Schwarzenegger