View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoller View Post
We can do both. We need to be doing both. We need to crack down on legal immigration too. If people want to come to our country to attend our colleges, that's fine as long as they leave when they are done..

From that link:

We don't need more legal immigration, we need less. And we need to quit subsidizing immigration. The place to learn English if you want to be a US citizen is before you get here, not after. And teaching those kids English is their responsibility, not ours.
As many of you know, I live in the heart of illegal country. This small town of 15,000 is (according to the census) 75% Hispanic. But I live here and the truth is it's at least 85% if not more. But of those that are here at least half are illegal. They come through the Agricultural Visas and saturate the town. This town, with about 5,000-6,000 registered voters has borrowed close to $100,000 million from its Redevelopment Agency funds to support these illegals. Quote from my article:$2 million expected to be paid to the State to keep the City’s Redevelopment Agency. Adding to that the City has borrowed about $100 million (bonds) against the Redevelopment Agency and must first pay back its debt service.

The "migrant" housing took most of it and we're not talking shacks. These are some of the nicest condos and apt you'd ever want to live in. Very, very nice. Yes, now the town is so broke that it has a ballot measure this Nov. asking to raise our sales tax. But even if it passes, which I don't think it will, the town can expect to cut non-self supporting recreation programs, Police, Fire, close parks, street repair, tree trimming, code enforcement, close the pool.

City Hall is only open 4 day a wk and 1/3 of the employees have been laid off. Quote from the City Manager: “We went into the year with literally nothing.” The city has cut $2.9 million in costs and used its reserves over the last two years to balance the budget which decreased the General Fund 40%.

I just received my property tax bill and 25% of my taxes go to paying for things like the pool, local schools and the infrastructure, which I can honestly say, the illegals use but don't put one red cent toward in taxes.(25% of the students in Fillmore schools are the migrant's children that require special education funds, that is a quote from the Superintendent of FUSD)

That gives you an idea of what this town has become in the last ten years. But what I notice is that now, even many of those that speak English and Spanish, speak Spanish. You have to ask them to repeat it in English if it's information you need. I am a reporter and often I need some info for an article.

Fillmore is incorporated and is 10 to 20 miles in any direction to the next town. It is isolated, so what happens here is a perfect example of what will happen throughout California. A perfect testing ground.

This is a comment someone submitted in our paper:

Yes, and we continue to provide 'farm worker housing' for them... subsidized housing in one way, shape, or form, but what a lot of the guys need is what isn't trendy anymore... housing for the single guy, up from Mexico, who isn't looking for anything fancy, but needs something cheap...kind of what Albert Villasenor provides, but oh no, that isn't what the snobs think they need...Of course, those snobs have never lived in an agricultural community, have never seen the guys living in garden sheds or converted garages...they think they need condos or SFDs...But...what do I know?

Last edited by Jeanfromfillmore; 10-14-2011 at 12:32 PM.