View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 03:41 PM

Default Interesting dynamic observed.

I had some old friends from Chicago visit me last month. They were staying in Costa Mesa and we met in LA. I wanted to take them out to dinner, I took them to a Korean restaurant, It was great to see them as I hadn't seen them for seven years.
My friend and her elderly mother were originally from Cuba and her husband was from Honduras.

After we ate I wanted to take them to a cafe so they could have some coffee. The cafe that I wanted to go to was about 2 blocks away, but my friends elderly mother couldn't make it all the way, so we had to stop after a block at a Mexican bakery. The place was pretty nice, it had tables and seats and a nice selection of Mexican bakery items, I wanted some place that was a bit more upscale but, this place would have to do.

After we sat down I noticed all of my friends started to get a bit uncomfortable. They pleasantly ordered their food in Spanish, but after the waitress left my friends started to complain how they didn't really like Mexican pastries. Later my friends started to whisper to me " we've got to do something about all these people here". "It's not right that so many of them are here". Although we were going to be in the Cafe for just a short time, I could tell that my friend didn't want to be there at all.

I had never really talked to these these friends about how I feel about the Mexican invasion, Most of my thoughts on the subject were really formed after I moved to California. My friends are Hispanic, so naturally I tip-toed around the subject.
What amazed me was how uncomfortable My Cuban and Honduran friends were with the LA Mexicans. Although they all spoke Spanish, they didn't want to associate with them at all. Even being in a Mexican bakery for a short time was really uncomfortable for them.

It was a strange dynamic for me to witness. I was wondering If you have ever seen Hispanics from different origins (South American/ Caribean/ Etc.) not mixing so well with Mexicans.

Last edited by Greg in LA; 09-01-2012 at 03:47 PM.