View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 AM

In Southern California, I believe the Carpenter's union to be corrupt and a "union" in name only - interested only in dues to support the union "leadership".

I've spoke with a number of people who are or were members of the Carpenter Union in Riverside, it seems that the jobs nearly all go to "Latinos", most of those of whom I have have had contact I observed to be "English challenged". One, a white guy who could physically pass for a light colored Mexican and has a surname which sounds "Latino" was advised to take advantage of it as an apprentice because he wouldn't be working much as a journeyman otherwise. Note that that hall allows members to solicit their own work - no control.

I believe quite a few of the unions in California to be such. The teamsters in Southern California are all about Amnesty, while Teamster leader James P. Hoffa recently came out with a newspaper commentary which decried Mexican trucking incursion into the United State - practically described Mexican nationals as job thieves.

AFL-CIO Poobah Richard Trumko wrote an article I viewed in Spanish which blasted Arizona's 1070 bill.

Southern California Local 47 IBEW has a Spanish Language insert in its monthly newspaper geared towards non English speaking tree trimmers which often has articles which may enrage the general membership if they were printed in English.

A former director for the IBEW-NECA Outside Apprenticeship has been alleged to favor race over quality concerning awarding apprenticeships, and to give "Latinos" test answers to those who couldn't pass otherwise. I understand the questions were all changed after he left.

Go to just about any construction job in Southern California and see what language is spoken on the job, it often isn't English and I would wager that most were illegal at first.

Hay burros en el maiz

RAP IS TO MUSIC WHAT ETCH-A-SKETCH IS TO ART

Don't drink and post.

"A nickel will get you on the subway, but garlic will get you a seat." - Old New York Yiddish Saying

"You can observe a lot just by watching." Yogi Berra

Old journeyman commenting on young apprentices - "Think about it, these are their old days"

SOMETIMES IT JUST DOESN'T MAKE SENSE.

Never, ever, wear a bright colored shirt to a stand up comedy show.

Last edited by ilbegone; 09-25-2011 at 08:19 AM.