View Single Post
Old 12-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollahgondola View Post
Do you see what I see? The governor is linking civil revolt to terrorism. These kids are out of line, yes. They broke the law, yes. But they are revolting over policies that our government has unjustly placed on them. They are not terrorists. Not yet anyway. The governor belittles and cheapens the 9/11 events by linking them to the term falsely. If the governor gets away with this, we...you and I are going to be the same if or when we get fed up like these kids did. The Governor is tossing citizen revolt in the same category as Bin Laden et al. It is not the same at all. We have to hammer him on the difference. I'm not defending these kids per se, but we have all sat around wondering when Americans were going to grab torches and pitchforks and head to the castle. We cannot allow them to be labeled terrorists. It's not appropriate and creates an extremely slippery slope for the rest of America's citizenry
I think you are confusing their cause with the misclassification of this event as terroristic. It was not terrorist because of why they were doing what they were doing, but because what they did was not terrorism.

If they had placed a bomb there are tossed a bomb or had otherwise attempted some act of aggression to incite a reaction to the public, then that might qualify as terrorism.

But this was an organized and violent act of aggression against an individual. There are already a sea of laws posed to deal with the situation that have nothing to do with terrorism. One might wonder why the governer is so excited about applying this level of reaction. This could be another attempt to blur the reality that our threat from terrorism is primarily from outside the country. We are seeing very thinly veiled attempts to pose even middle eastern terrorism or attempts in this country as being domestic terrorism, even when the core of the perpetrators are either immigrants themselves or their offspring. For example our last attack at the military installation might be classified as domestic terrorism.

That together with the idea of the "lone wolf", sources of terrorism are being mischaracterized to deliberately excuse what can really more apropriately characterize their source.