View Single Post
Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 AM
SOS Associate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAPhil View Post
Well I guess we just fundamentally disagree. I don't see any connection between allowing foreigners to serve on a jury and getting the right to vote without becoming citizens first. And why do you assume that just because they're not citizens they have no loyalty to this country? Many of them may be in the process of becoming citizens, as the process takes time. Being a juror is simply a matter of deciding guilt or innocence in a criminal matter or liability in a civil matter, and being a non-citizen is not de facto an obstacle to that. As I said earlier, the attorneys can dismiss anyone for cause, and if they feel that a particular person is not qualified they will not hesitate to dismiss that person.
Have you been to court recently Phil?
Attorney's do not get carte blanche pre-emptory challenges. There are limits, else they would juror shop til they drop.

As a citizen, the juror is presumed to know the state and federal constitutions. Native born are taught those in school. Immigrants who become citizens are schooled in both and must pass a test. Non-immigrants have no such requirements to learn it, or inherent values that are often absorbed by exposure after being raised here. This bill makes zero provision for an understanding of law or constitution. None Phil! All you need to have is a visa, and it could be a tourist visa, because that's lawful presence.